What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
fergus

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote:.... Now John, wait'll you see the 15 x 7" LIMITED BOX SET...all in MONO :-))))
See....what did I tell you!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote:.... Now John, wait'll you see the 15 x 7" LIMITED BOX SET...all in MONO :-))))
See....what did I tell you!!

LOL :-))
mcq

Post by mcq »

One of the best new albums I bought recently was Barb Jungr's new album, The Men I Love (released on Naim - she seems to have moved permanently from Linn, but either label will assure you of a great recording). She is one of the great interpreters - or should that be re-imaginer - of popular songs, having done wonders with the likes of Elvis, Dylan and The Kinks among others. Highlights on this album include wonderful reworkings of such songs as Talking Heads' Once in a Lifetime, Leonard Cohen's Night Comes On, Todd Rundgren's I Saw The Light and Bruce Springsteen's The River. She is admirably catholic is her taste in music - there are no redundant concepts of "cool" and "uncool" songs, just good music that stimulates her into recording it in a new and fresh way. (For example, she includes a version of David Gates' saccharine Everything I Own which utterly eclipses all memories of the original and presents something that is beautifully sincere, which is not something you could ever say about the original.) For me, the standout track on this album is a staggeringly good version of Jimmy Webb's Wichita Lineman which sends chills down the spine in a similar way to her renditions of Lilac Wine (as immortalised by Nina Simone), Elvis' Always On My Mind, Dylan's Like A Rolling Stone and The Kinks' Waterloo Sunset.
Gryphon Diablo 300, dCS Rossini (with matching clock), Kharma Exquisite Mini, Ansuz C2, Finite Elemente Master Reference.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Another quick trip to the capital elicited the following vinyl artifacts:

I have the original but I've had to wait almost 30 years for this!! Whoever sold me the
original obviously kept the 9 desirable prints that came with it;he probably didn't but that's
what I've always thought over the years... Anyway this 4MWB edition restores the original
inserts as they were back in the day - Hallelujah!!

A live set featuring Lee Ranaldo,Jim O'Rourke and Christoph Heemann...

Another bloody version?!!? This time from the original two track masters...definitely the last one :-))
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: Image
Another bloody version?!!? This time from the original two track masters...definitely the last one :-))
Yeah, yeah, yeah....we have heard it all before....just wait until the next version comes out on purple vinyl or something!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote: Image
Yeah, yeah, yeah....we have heard it all before....just wait until the next version comes out on purple vinyl or something!!!
LOL Maybe a whiff of Purple Haze :-)))
cybot

Post by cybot »

These vinyl things arrived today - thanks Bubbles :-)))

My first from Cargo Records UK - Tower couldn't to tell me whether they were getting
it in or not so I cancelled. Just released... Music to run in speakers ha ha...

Metal Machine Music (180g Double LP Edition)
Released in the UK to coincide with the UK tour dates of Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Trio/Re-Mastered to the specifications of the original master, playable on home theatre systems. Lou Reed has gone back to the original multi-tracks and has digitally re-mastered his 1975 classic album “Metal Machine Music.” This is the one and only official re-mastered edition of Metal Machine Music, re-issued, supervised and approved by Lou Reed himself.

The album will be released on Reed’s very own Sister Ray label in three formats – double gatefold vinyl (in quadraphonic sound), Audio DVD and Blu-ray. This timely release dovetails the UK tour dates for Lou Reed’s Metal Machine Trio – a new band that Lou has put together which performs music that is loosely based on, and inspired by Metal Machine Music. 180 gram and double gatefold vinyl edition contains a stereo reproduction of the original quadraphonic master, playable on home theatre systems. The programme ends in a locked groove, just like the original. The audio DVD contains both discrete 4-channel and stereo audio reproductions of the original quadraphonic master, playable on home theatre systems. Includes the looped lock groove audio at the end as on the original vinyl release.

The disc is audio video only and is formatted for all regions.The Blu-ray edition contains both discrete 4-channel and stereo audio reproductions of the original quadraphonic master, playable on home theatre systems. Includes the looped locked groove audio at the end as on the original vinyl release. Formatted for all regions. About Metal Machine Music: Re-mastered – The original. The one that started it all. Noise Rock - Industrial Rock. Underground for years, it survived on the power of an idea. No key, no vocals, no set rhythm. Hhhmmmmm feedback forever. Supervised by Lou Reed and faithfully re-mastered to the last squeal. Says Reed, “The out of print “Quad” has been replicated for all formats including a perfect vinyl version playable on your stereo turntable with the original rear sections moved to the centre of the front left/right speakers. It’s worth getting a turntable to hear this. I myself bought a Linn to calibrate this great sound and am playing it through Wilson Watts and Puppies. Hear it as we did on Scott Hull’s Duntechs.” “We worked from digital transfers (95k 24bit) made from the original analogue masters. The original label supplied us with these files and photo copies of the analogue reels INCLUDING copies of Bob Ludwig’s original mastering notes.”

An act of love for an act of sound.

From Touch Music
cybot

Post by cybot »

Shhh.....this vinyl thing of beauty arrived this afternoon....while she was upstairs sleeping...shhhh :-)))

Thomas Koner - 'Nunatak' (1990) First album released on vinyl for the first time ever...
cybot

Post by cybot »

The day after the night before! Picked up these in Tower this morning and got a tenner off!!

Had a very quick listen when I got home and it sounds unbelievably good (for a 'bootleg') with a
massive Noel presence. 4 copies left, don't sleep....there's a Record Store Day sticker on my copy too..

Decided to show the rear print this time (Robert Vernon - 1849) My third copy and all covers are different...:-))
It's Pavlov's Dog's first amazing Lp (MOV)

A beautiful slice of minimalism with piano...
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Just back from a stroll through St. Stephen's Green and into HVM...

this 3CD gem for €7.99... essential summer BBQ background music.... and more. Not just good stuff but a wide spread of the good stuff.

also

two great Willie albums in a " two for one" box for €14.99
ImageImage
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable