Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Ivor »

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

At a recent session with Fran he played extracts from the above and I orderd it the next day. I was very taken with it altogether.
WOW Fergus, I am really delighted to hear it. Duke Ellington wrote wonderful music throughout all of his life and his suites are his finest creations, I feel. The Shakespearean Suite is truly wonderful music-making and was well recorded too. In fact, it was the first time the Ellington Orchestra were recorded in stereo but the LP was originally released in mono. There are many more wonderful Ellington recordings available, you might even enjoy his sacred music too.

Do please let us know what you make of his music. If you do enjoy it then you will probably enjoy his New Orleans Suite. He has been my hero ever since I was in my teens.
Cheers for that Seán....it is something of a departure for me all right.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Great stuff Fergus!! Glad you think it was worth it....

New cartridge getting run in tonight:

Do or do not, there is no try
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Seán wrote:
mcq wrote:Image

Glorious music this morning with the ever-adventurous Max Roach improvising with the great Anthony Braxton on Birth and Rebirth in 1979. Braxton has been one of the truly great musician-composer-thinkers in jazz over the past 40 years, furiously and passionately committed to developing the music as an original art form beyond the cultural stasis that was jazz-rock and the revisionism represented by Wynton Marsalis. To hear him play his alto sax is one of the great joys of life, like an amazing melange of Warne Marsh and Eric Dolphy, but always pushing outwards from these influences and forging his own identity. As profoundly interested in philosophy and mathematics as he is music, his recordings are truly inspirational to me. The learning curve may be steep but the rewards are immense. The great Max Roach is with him every step of the way on these free improvisations that never fail to touch me to my very soul.

Here's a sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJ1pg4UUv8
I have not given much time to Marsalis and his pontifications on Jazz, his musings bore me to be honest. When his group exploded on to the Jazz scene in the late seventies they took the world by storm, but once he parted company with his brother Branford in the early eighties I felt he lost his way and I lost interest in him. The Marsalis brothers did play a fabulous concert in the Cork Opera House in 1981, I remember it well.
I was never fond of Anthony Braxton and "Free Jazz", I always found it too intense and devoid of any beauty, but that's me, I know that some people love it. I even attended an Evan Parker gig in London in an attempt to discover what I was missing....at the time, I was sorry I did.
On an entirely separate note I have to say that I love Eric Dolphy's music-making, his was a tragic loss.
I dig the Marsalis's as individual musicians.
I still enjoy that Herbie Hancock album with Pink on it.
I love JAZZ. I love JAH. I don't love ZZZzzz.

I saw Vijay Iyer in the Vortex, soho, on Tuesday last.
Enjoyed it !!!!
Contemporary !!!!!!
A aargh !!!!!!!
Playing some classic Konitz now.
Jazz is not anything other than music. Music is nothing other than art. Art is nothing other than expression. Expression is nothing other than a Human right. Oh bondage. Up Yours ! Happy Friday.
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Here's a sample: Mount Harissa featuring Paul Gonsalves on Tenor Sax:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

On the TT:

Seán

Post by Seán »

Jimmy Blanton joined the Ellington Orchestra in 1940 and he revolutionised bass playing in Jazz. He brought the bass from a simple rhythm section instrument to a major solo instrument within a couple of months of his joining the Ellington Orchestra. In 1940, shortly before he died of TB at the tender age of 23, he recorded Pitter, Panther, Patter with Duke. Jazz would never be the same again:

Last edited by Seán on Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I like that Sean, good link!
Do or do not, there is no try