BBC Radio 3 Live In Concert @ 7.30pm

Seán

Re: BBC Radio 3 Live In Concert @ 7.30pm

Post by Seán »

bombasticDarren wrote:
Seán wrote:I have just paid the Proms site a visit and this one caught my eye, what a beauty!
Sunday 2 September
7.30pm – c. 10.00pm
Royal Albert Hall
Messiaen
Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum (31 mins)

Mahler
Symphony No. 6 in A minor (85 mins)
Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
Riccardo Chailly conductor
That's one I have earmarked to go to if funds allow Sean. Fingers crossed....
Hmmm, well I'd break the bank and forgo all others to get to that one.

Darren, Mahler or Bruckner? Who do you prefer?
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

^^ I will do my best to get to that one I assure you. The only thing halting me a little is that I have attended Chailly/LGO concerts before, and I have heard Mahler 6 performed before - I try not to duplicate performances of works whenever possible. That said, Mahler 6 is utterly spectacular :-)

Bruckner or Mahler? I have warmer feelings for Bruckner in all honesty...
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:Bruckner or Mahler? I have warmer feelings for Bruckner in all honesty...
Bruckner shades things for me too... but not by as much as he used to... in all honesty, I love both and would put Mahler on a par with Richard Strauss...
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Bruckner or Mahler? I have warmer feelings for Bruckner in all honesty...
Bruckner shades things for me too... but not by as much as he used to... in all honesty, I love both and would put Mahler on a par with Richard Strauss...
I am not surprised, I suppose. On a par with Dickie? Hmm, okay. I would prefer any one of Mahler's works to every single one by Bruckner. Ah well if we all loved the same music in equal measure it would make us a cluster of boring clones, thankfully we don't.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:I am not surprised, I suppose. On a par with Dickie? Hmm, okay. I would prefer any one of Mahler's works to every single one by Bruckner. Ah well if we all loved the same music in equal measure it would make us a cluster of boring clones, thankfully we don't.
It wouldn't do for us all to be the same, Sean... we'd never help each other grow to love new music...