Tonearm woes

fergus

Re: Tonearm woes

Post by fergus »

That looks like a good strong arm all right Fran!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Its been a couple of years at this stage!! But I finally got back to this arm and finished it up. The curious thing is that most of the work was done ages ago, but I just never got around to the few bits needed to finish it up.

Anyway, she's playing beautifully at the moment! I just a nice little Denon DL110 mounted up there at the moment for testing, but its sounding lovely I have to say. Certainly pulls out lots of detail and noticeably, the bass is very punchy and theres better soundstage width and depth.

Like most things tonearm wise, there's been quite an investment of time in making the arm - and access to machinery is needed. I saw Frank Schroder saying it takes him a full 40 hours to make one of these, and I'd believe him. I've put in at least twice that and more. I'm sure I've a few more tweaks to do yet, but its playing at least.

Fran
Attachments
IMAG0198.jpg
(137.57 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
IMAG0197.jpg
(125.41 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
IMAG0196.jpg
(115.46 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

it looks fantastic Fran.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Awestruck again!
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
Andy S

Post by Andy S »

Fran

Excellent work once more!

Did you use the pure silver wire in silk I sold you to wire the internals of the arm?

Regards.

Andy
barry robin

Post by barry robin »

beautiful stuff fran!

-b
cybot

Post by cybot »

You never give up! Well done...
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Thanks guys,

Its working very well indeed. Many thanks to Frank Schroder who helped me out with the build when I ran into some problems. I never would have discovered what was wrong with it without his help.

There is a little confusion in the mix because I'm playing a different cart at the moment, but there seems to be far more width and depth in the soundstage. Some details are more "perceptible" - like hi hat tips are more percussive if you know what I mean. Bass is tighter too.

So all in all a winner alright. There are still bits of fine tuning to do etc, but I'm happy with it.

Andy: I didn't use the wire yet, the reason is that I already had the loom made from a long time back and just used it as it was already made..... I have another linear tracker coming on soon though and I'll try it out on that.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gosh Fran, well done.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
tony

Post by tony »

Cant add anything to what has been said already just waiting for you to open up your own hifi service/repair and development shop.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.