Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Fran »

Picked this up for 12.99 in Tower the other day. Its actually very good indeed - good recording and great selection too. Some modern and older mixed in a very good way. Recommended!

Also:

Do or do not, there is no try
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Found this on my shelf, didn't even know I had it. Very enjoyable, though.

Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Seán

Re: Jazz - What are you listening to today?

Post by Seán »

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Do or do not, there is no try
Seán

Post by Seán »

Fran wrote:Image
It's truly gorgeous music-making.
Seán

Post by Seán »

These are recordings by one of the last of the great Jazz orchestrators, Bill holman, and one of my favourites:

This is a live recording from 2004

and from 2006 a tribute to the late Bob Enevoldsen, a former Bill Holman alumni, who played on the earlier 2004 recording:

Sparkling performances thoroughout.
fergus

Post by fergus »

At a recent session with Fran he played extracts from the above and I orderd it the next day. I was very taken with it altogether.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:Image

At a recent session with Fran he played extracts from the above and I orderd it the next day. I was very taken with it altogether.
WOW Fergus, I am really delighted to hear it. Duke Ellington wrote wonderful music throughout all of his life and his suites are his finest creations, I feel. The Shakespearean Suite is truly wonderful music-making and was well recorded too. In fact, it was the first time the Ellington Orchestra were recorded in stereo but the LP was originally released in mono. There are many more wonderful Ellington recordings available, you might even enjoy his sacred music too.

Do please let us know what you make of his music. If you do enjoy it then you will probably enjoy his New Orleans Suite. He has been my hero ever since I was in my teens.