BWV 4 again.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
dhyantyke

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by dhyantyke »

fergus wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:I heard Faure's requiem as part of the soundtrack to the 'One Day' drama series on BBC recently and really liked it. Can somebody reccommend specific recordings of this and other works of Faure to a virtual newcomer to the classical? Thanks.

I have four different versions of that work and I really like it. Coincidentally I had planned to re-listen to them soon so if you are interested I will review my versions over the next week or so for you and you can see how you get on from there if you wish.

Thanks for that offer Fergus which I would like to take you up on. By the way I was taken with what what I understand is your synchronised (aprox.) listening of sacred music with the ecclesiastic calendar. Like most good ideas stunningly simple but an interesting project for the relative outsider to both! I hope to begin to follow in a small way
Jared

Post by Jared »

dhyantyke wrote: By the way I was taken with what what I understand is your synchronised (aprox.) listening of sacred music with the ecclesiastic calendar. Like most good ideas stunningly simple but an interesting project for the relative outsider to both! I hope to begin to follow in a small way
That's a really wonderful post to read from a CM newbie.. :-)

Fergus has been trying to school me in this very sensible approach but alas I'm a most indisciplined pupil.

anyway, if you have any questions whatsoever on yourf journey toward a greater understanding and love of classical musaic, you'll find a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm in this forum... (me? I just try and help out on the enthusiasm front)
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Happy Easter Sunday to all.

fergus

Post by fergus »

dhyantyke wrote: Thanks for that offer Fergus which I would like to take you up on.
That is fine; I will dig them out and start the mini project in a day or so. It is comforting to know that I will have an audience of at least one!!!

By the way I was taken with what what I understand is your synchronised (aprox.) listening of sacred music with the ecclesiastic calendar. Like most good ideas stunningly simple but an interesting project for the relative outsider to both! I hope to begin to follow in a small way

I just find it a bit more interesting and relevant if one does this; it just adds a little extra dimension I feel. About two years or so ago I played all of JS Bach's music on every relevant day of the lithurgical year. I think that I bored the pants off every member but I just love that music.
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

J.S. Bach - Easter Oratorio BWV 249 Kommt, Eilet und Laufet (Yukari Nonoshita/Patrick von Goethem/Jan Kobow/Chiyuki Urano/Masaaki Suzuki, Bach Collegium Japan, BIS)

fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:
dhyantyke wrote:I heard Faure's requiem as part of the soundtrack to the 'One Day' drama series on BBC recently and really liked it. Can somebody reccommend specific recordings of this and other works of Faure to a virtual newcomer to the classical? Thanks.

I have four different versions of that work and I really like it. Coincidentally I had planned to re-listen to them soon so if you are interested I will review my versions over the next week or so for you and you can see how you get on from there if you wish.
What versions do you have Fergus?

I really like the piece and am considering making a modestly priced additional purchase...any help gratefully received :-)

My versions of Faure's Requiem consist of (in alphabetical order):

Cluytens: Orch. Soc. Des Concerts du Conserv./de los Angeles/Fischer-Dieskau [EMI]

Davis: Philharmonia Orchestra/Ambrosian Singers+Lucia Popp [Sony]

Gardiner: Orchestre Revolutionnaire+Bott/Cachemaille [Philips]

Rutter: City of London Sinfonia+Ashton/Varcoe [Collegium]

Summerly: Schola Cantorum+Beckley/Gedge [Naxos]

I do intend to get that Hereweghe version at some stage as well.
Last edited by fergus on Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: Fergus has been trying to school me in this very sensible approach but alas I'm a most indisciplined pupil.

A lost cause!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Happy Easter Sunday to all.
Happy Easter Pepe and to all of Mexico from all here in Ireland!

You can keep the earthquakes Pepe but you might be kind and send us some of your nice, warm weather!!

Happy Easter to all on the Forum and go easy on the chocolate today....especially Pepe; I will be watching you!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Cantatas BWV4 & BWV31 both for Easter Sunday....