What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

mcq wrote:First up today is The Tallis Scholars' absorbing performance of Gesualdo's Tenebrae Responsories and his Four Marian Motets. These are powerfully intense pieces given a committed reading by the Scholars, if a little on the cool and glacial side.

I bet that's a lovely disk Paul; becoming a bit of a TS fanboy of late, and if the contents are even half as beautiful as Victoria's TRs, then that disk certainly intrigues me a great deal..
Jared

Post by Jared »

the pilgimage continues, as and when work allows (which hasn't been often) consolidating my opinion that Haydn can barely do any wrong.
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Tchaikovsky - Symphony Manfred (Andrew Litton, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Virgin Classics)

I thought that was a very fine version Darren....did you like it?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote:Image

One of Telemann´s finest recordings. René Jacobs conducts a magnificent performance, very well sung and played. All in all one of Telemann´s most desirable recordings.

That is one for my List Pepe!!
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Tchaikovsky - Symphony Manfred (Andrew Litton, Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, Virgin Classics)

Yes, I did. I am warming to the Manfred nowadays. I like this cycle: it is so much less bombastic that most Tchaikovsky recordings
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:My wife and daughter were very pleased that I stopped listening to my Jazz collection and that I have had the Schubert Fest play throughout the house all afternoon, they really enjoyed it too:

Great relief finally in the Seán household LOL!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
mcq wrote:First up today is The Tallis Scholars' absorbing performance of Gesualdo's Tenebrae Responsories and his Four Marian Motets. These are powerfully intense pieces given a committed reading by the Scholars, if a little on the cool and glacial side.

I bet that's a lovely disk Paul; becoming a bit of a TS fanboy of late, and if the contents are even half as beautiful as Victoria's TRs, then that disk certainly intrigues me a great deal..
I also have it Jared and I definitely think that you would like it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
fergus wrote:

Yes, I did. I am warming to the Manfred nowadays. I like this cycle: it is so much less bombastic that most Tchaikovsky recordings
I have to agree with you Darren as I think that it is a fine cycle indeed.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: One of Telemann´s finest recordings. René Jacobs conducts a magnificent performance, very well sung and played. All in all one of Telemann´s most desirable recordings.

That is one for my List Pepe!!
I'm listening to this one now Fergus. Two discs of wonderful music. You should definitely push this one to the top of your list.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP