What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Schumann - Cello Concerto (Maria Kliegel/Andrew Constantine, National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland, Naxos)

The Schumann is a wonderful piece - perhaps not as immediately satisfying as some concerti, but once it gets into your system I think it is rather brilliant.

This recording is one of Naxos finest concerto recordings in my collection. The orchestra play superbly (I don't know what their pedigree is) and the soloist gels nicely with them. A very satisfying recording :-D
I agree on the Schumann Darren....I really like it and would look for more interpretations of it. The Naxos CD would interest me due to the Orchestra being our own. I can honestly say that they have a very good pedigree and usually play to a very high standard.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote:Mozart - Piano Concerto No.23 (Mitsuko Uchida/Jeffrey Tate, English Chamber Orchestra, Philips)

What about that set Darren....I am curious about Tate?
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

fergus wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Mozart - Piano Concerto No.23 (Mitsuko Uchida/Jeffrey Tate, English Chamber Orchestra, Philips)

What about that set Darren....I am curious about Tate?
I really like these recordings Fergus. Tate, as far as I can ascertain, is a superb Mozartian (his symphony cycle on EMI is well worth a try, as is his Clarinet Concerto with Thea King). There is a pleasing lightness of touch to these recordings that I didn't wholly expect, but am hugely impressed by
fergus

Post by fergus »

bombasticDarren wrote: I really like these recordings Fergus. Tate, as far as I can ascertain, is a superb Mozartian (his symphony cycle on EMI is well worth a try, as is his Clarinet Concerto with Thea King). There is a pleasing lightness of touch to these recordings that I didn't wholly expect, but am hugely impressed by
I was afraid that you would say that Darren!!! I do have the Clarinet Concerto but nothing else with him conducting.
bombasticDarren

Gounod - Messe solennelle de Sainte Cecile (Irmgard Seefried/Gerhard Stolze/Hermann Uhde/Igor Markevitch, Czech Philharmonic Orchestra & Chorus, DG)

ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Sibelius Symphony no. 2 from

Matt.
bombasticDarren

Brahms - Double Concerto (Maria Kliegel/Ilya Kaler/Andrew Constantine, National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland, Naxos)

fergus

Post by fergus »

ravel30 wrote:Sibelius Symphony no. 2 from

Matt.

Building yourself up for serious thread duty soon Matt????
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote:Image

Imperial court composer Fux. A beautiful recording.
You never cease to amaze me Pepe with the wonderful CDs that you continually produce!!
Well, you know I´m a big Fux, Muffat and Biber aficionado. Many people still think of Fux as a theoretician, but he was a master composer too, and his music DEFINITELY should be better known.
As many other Fux recordings, this is hugely enjoyable dear Fergus.
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

And just because I have Catholic tastes after Fux what better late night entertainment than some very fine Rodgers and Hammerstein.
This South Pacific was recorded live by the ORF in Vienna with 2 important opera stars: the great Italian basso Ferruccio Furlanetto as Emile de Becque (a role created by that other great Italian basso Ezio Pinza) and the Bohemian mezzo Marjana Lipovsek as Bloody Mary. This version is hugely enjoyable and infinitely superior to the SONY recording with a worn José Carreras catastrophically cast as Emile.
Since it´s in the ORF label it´s a little bit hard to find, but it´s available in Amazon.de
If you like musicals (and I mean REAL musicals, not Cats or the Phantom of the Opera) this is a very desirable acquisition.