My devices on Tour

jkeny

Re: My devices on Tour

Post by jkeny »

OK, Tony, thanks, just wondered where things were at.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Rocker

Post by Rocker »

Thanks to a long threatened visit to Ken Morelands today, I now understand all that is involved in using the JKDAC. Ken has an amazing system in his music room, the sound he gets using the JKDAC from music stored on a hard drive is one of the best I have ever heard. And his espresso is pretty decent quality too.

Thanks to Ken for the time he spent explaining the ins and outs of JPlay to me. Also for his hospitality and for allowing me to play some of my own music [from a USB stick]. Fascinating to compare the sound of FLAC -v- WAV. The lack of a pre-amp in my system prevents me from using that technology at the present time. But in the future..... who knows?
It's OK, if there is no bread I will eat cake.

Beware of a thin chef!
tony

Post by tony »

Yes the dac is really impressive Tom. I had John over listening to the unit I borrowed today and we had a nice session comparing the various options. cdp dac with usb and dac with usb connectors. Amazingly the usb connectors gave an improved sound.I would be a novice in descriptive terms but it added a clear definition to bass notes and really creates a lovely clear concise sound. With the usb cable the sound was a little softer dont know if that is the right word but still fantastic. To my novice ears I am hearing a really enjoyable liquid sound that would make you keep listening and playing tracks.I dont think one needs any more than that.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Rocker wrote:Thanks to a long threatened visit to Ken Morelands today, I now understand all that is involved in using the JKDAC. Ken has an amazing system in his music room, the sound he gets using the JKDAC from music stored on a hard drive is one of the best I have ever heard. And his espresso is pretty decent quality too.

Thanks to Ken for the time he spent explaining the ins and outs of JPlay to me. Also for his hospitality and for allowing me to play some of my own music [from a USB stick]. Fascinating to compare the sound of FLAC -v- WAV. The lack of a pre-amp in my system prevents me from using that technology at the present time. But in the future..... who knows?
Thanks for posting, Rocker.
I just remembered a device that might interest you - it replaces a full blown preamp. It's a small device that the analogue cable plugs into & it acts as a volume control & a pretty transparent one at that - not too expensive, AFAIR. Can't remember the name of it but I'll search for it if you are interested?

As Tony said, I was with him today to check out what he was hearing :)
In comparison to his excellent sounding Cyrus CD8SE (is this correct model, Tony), the JKDAC32 gave a deep & 3D sound stage which the Cyrus lacked - it seemed to me spread between the speakers but with no depth. Some people highly value this 3D illusion, some don't care - I like it, myself :)

In comparing the USB direct Vs a Wireworld Utraviolet cable we heard a more dynamic & defined presentation of the sound field particularly noticeable on Shelby Lynn track where the bass seemed to be a long sustained note with the USB cable but was resolved into 3 short bass notes with gaps between them when listening via USB direct.
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Placette maybe?
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I think I know the yoke you're talking about. Is it essentially a volume knob john - and it's kid of round/dome shaped? I can't remember the name offhand....

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Modest

Post by Modest »

Fran wrote: it's kid of round/dome shaped? I can't remember the name offhand.... Fran
http://www.tcelectronic.com/levelpilotdetails.asp you're mean this one ?
2012 R2 server/JK 32DAC/Audio Innovations L2 preamp/Audio Innovations 800MK3 power/Impulse H2 horn speakers /Linn LP12 ,ittok lvii/Linn Linto/Linn Lingo2 /Avid,Inakustik,Acrotec cables
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Fran wrote:I think I know the yoke you're talking about. Is it essentially a volume knob john - and it's kid of round/dome shaped? I can't remember the name offhand....

Fran
Yea, Fran, I think it is essentially a stepped attenuator volume control packaged to look well.
That wasn't it Modest but it is the same idea & looks good - I see it's balanced/unbalanced & the price is $89 here http://www.frontendaudio.com/TC-Electro ... -06672.htm - not bad ?

BTW, for those who want to check their system to see if it's as resolving as a direct USB connection, the track we used in Tony's last night was the first track from "Just a Little Lovin" & just before she starts singing there is a very soft bass note pluck which is actually revealed as three very quick bass note plucks with the USB direct connection. I believe lots of you probably have this CD/album? Interested to hear what you find.

Tony, we never did listen for this through your CD8SE to see if the bass notes were revealed - interested in that test too, if you ever get a chance
www.Ciunas.biz
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Not sure what you mean, John, but I don't think I'm hearing that here. Anyway, I'm buying a new laptop this weekend and should be able to borrow the aforementioned Placette so I'm getting closer to sampling the dac.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Diapason wrote:Not sure what you mean, John, but I don't think I'm hearing that here. Anyway, I'm buying a new laptop this weekend and should be able to borrow the aforementioned Placette so I'm getting closer to sampling the dac.
I don't have the CD or I would give you the exact timestamp that I'm referring to - maybe Tony can do this? It's on the first track "Just a little Lovin'" & about 3 or 4 seconds before she starts singing there is a pretty low level electric bass - pretty much all on it's own - this is actually 3 plucks of the bass in quick succession.

Good work with the Placette - Mick is picking up the DAC from Tony tomorrow I think?

BTW, one thing I forgot to bring to Tony's was a USB stick with the drivers & High-res tracks on it. We never did get to listen to high-res Tony. You should try this before you let it go tomorrow. I think there are some free high-res downloads available & linked to earlier in the thread?
www.Ciunas.biz