What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

The Rose & The Ostrich Feather...
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Prokofiev - Symphony No.3 (Walter Weller, London Philharmonic Orchestra, Decca)

Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

Jared wrote:
Ciaran wrote:Our "local" Rosary Sonatas with Camerata Kilkenny. I listened to Sonata V, The Finding of Jesus in the Temple.
Ciaran, that's an intriguing looking disk... how do you find the performances of those delightful works?
I find them very poetic, with an improvisational feel to Barry Guy's continuo work on the double bass. I wouldn't recommend it as a first version, but when you know the sonatas quite well it's an interesting alternative view. I encountered it in a BAL on the Rosary Sonatas: it wasn't first choice but I liked what I heard so much that I bought it. I think I had the "winner" already!
bombasticDarren

Kodaly - Hary Janos Suite (Ivan Fischer, Budapest Festival Orchestra, Philips)

Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Thank you all for the friendliest welcome ever, I already feel at home.

I´m a great fan of the Mystery Sonatas, it´s amazing how many versions are now available, and most of them are excellent. When I was a teen in the 70´s the only 3 recordings available were with Susanne Lautenbacher in Vox, Franzjosef Maier in Harmonia Mundi and Edward Melkus in Archiv. Now the list is enormous, and includes marvelous versions with Reinhard Goebel, John Holloway, Andrew Manze and Riccardo Minasi, but just last year I added to my collection 2 absolutely fascinating recordings worth recommending: Daniel Sepec in Coviello Classics and even more surprising Julia Wedman in Sono Luminus. The Sepec version has a fantastic continuo full of imagination and needless to say superb violin playing from one of the best young virtuosos in the period violin. The Julia Wedman recording was even more of a surprise because so far I have only known her as second violin in the Canadian period orchestra Tafelmusik (next to concertino Jean Lamon), but in the Biber sonatas she proves a formidable player, and her inward and majestic interpretation has an almost hypnotic quality. This is one of the less expensive recordings of these works, but the quality of the music making is anything but budget.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Good to see you on Pepe - glad that it all worked out!!

Cead mile failte!!
Do or do not, there is no try
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jose Echenique wrote: Image

Thank you all for the friendliest welcome ever, I already feel at home.

I´m a great fan of the Mystery Sonatas, it´s amazing how many versions are now available, and most of them are excellent. When I was a teen in the 70´s the only 3 recordings available were with Susanne Lautenbacher in Vox, Franzjosef Maier in Harmonia Mundi and Edward Melkus in Archiv. Now the list is enormous, and includes marvelous versions with Reinhard Goebel, John Holloway, Andrew Manze and Riccardo Minasi, but just last year I added to my collection 2 absolutely fascinating recordings worth recommending: Daniel Sepec in Coviello Classics and even more surprising Julia Wedman in Sono Luminus. The Sepec version has a fantastic continuo full of imagination and needless to say superb violin playing from one of the best young virtuosos in the period violin. The Julia Wedman recording was even more of a surprise because so far I have only known her as second violin in the Canadian period orchestra Tafelmusik (next to concertino Jean Lamon), but in the Biber sonatas she proves a formidable player, and her inward and majestic interpretation has an almost hypnotic quality. This is one of the less expensive recordings of these works, but the quality of the music making is anything but budget.
That is very interesting Pepe and one I am sure that should be investigated. I am a fan of Tafelmusik.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Jose Echenique wrote: Thank you all for the friendliest welcome ever, I already feel at home.

That is very interesting Pepe and one I am sure that should be investigated. I am a fan of Tafelmusik.
There is a very fine clip of Julia Wedman on youtube leading the Tafelmusik in a performance of Bach's Third Brandenburg Concerto. I can't access youtube from work but a search on "Tafelmusik and Bach" will find it easily enough.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jose Echenique

Post by Jose Echenique »

Fran wrote:Good to see you on Pepe - glad that it all worked out!!

Cead mile failte!!
Thank you Fran, I´m very happy to be here.
bombasticDarren

Shostakovich - 24 Preludes and Fugues No.7-12 (Vladimir Ashkenazy, Decca)