Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ thought you must have been getting Telemann withdrawal symptoms by now.. ;-)
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ thought you must have been getting Telemann withdrawal symptoms by now.. ;-)
I thought that I had better let you know that I still do partake in the odd purchase just in case you were getting worried!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

the first three have been sourced for an incredible £1.30 - £1.60 each... the Byrd was £0.81 (!?)

Jared

Post by Jared »

this is ridiculous... Sarum Chant for £0.01 (!?) I will post a couple of links to these in the bargain threads... suffice it to say, I'm becoming an unashamed Tallis Scholars fan-boy... ;-)

bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Image Image

These (plus another Lassus disc on Regis) were on offer for a small amount in the local Samaritans book shop. I didn't get them as I am not quite ready to embark on this genre - but are they worth having?

I really don't know much about this stuff...
bombasticDarren

Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:I really don't know much about this stuff...
the Tallis disk is very good indeed Darren... a PG 3 star disk, Summerly is an assured hand at Byrd & Tallis. Sorry, I can't speak for that particular Lassus disk, although I find his work not as immediate.

Certyainly if you said to me 'where to start with Renaissance', then Spem in Alium would be one of the top choices... and that disk has the incredibly wonderful Salve Intemerata on it too, which makes it a very powerful option.
bombasticDarren

^^ Thanks Jared

I don't really think I am up to the task just yet of exploring this repertoire.

I will get the Tallis disc if it's still in the shop though. I hear Spem in Alium quite often on Radio 3, and it always captivates me...
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:^^ Thanks Jared

I don't really think I am up to the task just yet of exploring this repertoire.

I will get the Tallis disc if it's still in the shop though. I hear Spem in Alium quite often on Radio 3, and it always captivates me...
Darren, my experience of Renaissance music is a paradox... it's a bit like chess in that the rules are very easy to initially understand but likewise very difficult to master, because of the subtleties involved... the superficial listener would say it all sounds the same, but the more the ear becomes accustomed to it, the more subtle the layering appears... does that make sense? I don't know whether Simon & fergus would agree with this, but that's my early view on this repertoire.

The Tallis disk is an ideal starter.. it's a very good performance as I've said, but Salve Intemerata is a beauty... I think you'll enjoy it.