My devices on Tour

jkeny

Re: My devices on Tour

Post by jkeny »

tony wrote:Thanks John I fully understand it I was messing around and because I hadnt switched to kernel streaming earlier I jumped in on the volume control as a solution. I have turned it off and have tried turboscale(I think) and full scale hibernate. Look I will leave it for now and do a bit of reading and experimenting and primarily listening over the next couple of days. I think I am hooked already,what a toy. Enjoy your wine.
No problem, I just wanted to correct any misunderstandings due to wrong settings that might get currency i.e it sounds about as good as an Arcam ipod dock station!

As they say in IT, RTFM - this is a joke & not to be taken too seriously - us IT guys think we can skip reading the manual but sometimes we can't - hope I haven't offended you but there are some suggestions for best sound in the user guide :)

After you have had a longer listen maybe you can give a reflective report on the sound - good & bad!
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

OK, it was very optimistic (& foolish) of me to start up three lists, one for each device. There is only one person that is interested, Tony. Maybe finances are tight? Maybe there is just no interest in PC audio? Maybe my devices are considered pants. Maybe most people have heard one in Fran's - I really don't know.

I started this "tour" (embarrassing name now as a tour signifies more than one stop) as I thought there was an interest among forum members for home auditioning of these devices.

Just so everybody knows when Tony returns the DAC32 & if there are no more interested members, I will no longer be offering this!

Please don't contact me sometime in the future looking for a no-deposit home trial of one of these devices.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm taking my ball & going home but I am :)
www.Ciunas.biz
For Digital Audio playback that delivers WHERE the performers are on stage but more importantly WHY they are there.
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:
I started this "tour" (embarrassing name now as a tour signifies more than one stop) as I thought there was an interest among forum members for home auditioning of these devices.
I suspect there is serious interest but people are mulling it over before bringing it home. We all know once it's home we'll want it! I'd humbly suggest you leave the offer out there and see what happens over a few weeks.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Ivor wrote:
jkeny wrote:
I suspect there is serious interest but people are mulling it over before bringing it home. We all know once it's home we'll want it! I'd humbly suggest you leave the offer out there and see what happens over a few weeks.
Just to ally any fears or misunderstandings - there is no compunction to purchase a device, this can be treated as a means of getting a handle on what is involved in PC audio in a hands on way. If it really is as Ivor says that people are mulling it over, can you express your interest/concerns/thoughts here so I can evaluate what to do next?
www.Ciunas.biz
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

Well I've already commented here (maybe you missed it John?) but I wouldn't be at all surprised if others also have to line up a few things before they can join the list. If you dropped the DAC to me tomorrow I'd end up giving it back to you in a week without even turning it on! It may not feel like it to those who are used to pc audio, but there IS a bit of a learning curve here, and the inconvenience of having to download and install drivers, a music player, rip CDs etc. all take time.

On another note, I never buy hifi equipment of any sort without a free home trial. Obviously it's up to you, but I think a 'now or never' approach here might be counter-productive. I accept it's frustrating to put out an offer only to get one or two responses, but not everyone is in a position to take an item for demo right now. I assume I'm not alone in getting only moments to listen to music some weeks. I've to time demos carefully!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ken Moreland

Post by Ken Moreland »

Easy, Tiger,
You only have the DAC out since yesterday!!!!!!!!! If I hadn't bought the thing last week I'd have been in the queue behind Tony(impossible to be in before him).
The product performances are excellent but folk really need to hear these products at home and anyone who has a laptop should audition one just to see! I guess a lot of people have expensive CD players/ dacs and are reluctant to find that something relatively inexpensive could outshine them. Anyway Steve Jobs didn't give up this quickly so I'd suggest keeping all your offers open and be patient.
KM
i5 QuietPC , JplayFemto , Singxer SU-6 , Holo Audio Spring DAC ,LAB12 Preamp, Roundtree Mono Amps, Rosso Fiorentino Elba 2 Speakers
tony

Post by tony »

I would concur with the lads. Can I suggest you give people up to 2 weeks simply because you have to give time to set it up and then fit in giving it a good comfortable listen before I believe slowly appreciating what it can deliver. Work,Family and other daily chores get in the way.
I had read all the threads I thought carefully but obviously not and had some teething troubles all of my own making. But I did rip a few cds and download some hires stuff + all the necessary software in advance. I would be in the seriously considering camp but really appreciate the trial offer as it makes it a no brainer to try this out. Casting out the net always catches something. Also doing a trial like this even if you leave it available for a long time will show your confidence in the product and ultimately reel in more punters. You have ever reason to be confident as it is some achievement. The world is full of skeptics including me but getting to use this product in a non pressurised environment shows clearly to me the stuff printed on multiple forums is not euphoria.This is a really cool piece of kit. Imagine how cloneys feel with people constantly coming back and trying products but often not committing at all or taking a year to do so. From what I see of hifi enthusiasts they like smoking the pipe and delibrating over the product before maybe purchasing.
Look at the threads for the jk stuff. I think in the general section they are among the largest on the forum.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
jkeny

Post by jkeny »

Maybe, I'm feeling a bit hung-over after last night's wine? Don't know? But I don't see any interest in this & I was wondering about it - hence my post.

Thanks Diapson, I did register your interest & thank you for responding. I just assumed that if others were thinking along the same lines that, like you, they would just register their interest. That's all I really was asking!

PS, Normally, my home trial operates on a guaranteed refund if you return the device (20 - 30 dys trial) no questions asked. I can't afford to put out a lot of devices for free to people who asks for them to try in their homes, at their leisure & return or buy when they are ready. Remember, I'm not Cloney. It's not a €1K, €2K, or €20K piece of equipment - it's €500. Some of you guys spend more than that on cables which have non-return policies.

Thanks Ken, thanks Tony just saw your posts after I posted mine!
I know it might sound like I'm a bit impatient but I'm not asking anybody to book this trial just guaging if there is any interest!

Diapson, do you think that providing a USB stick with 16/44 files & high-res files along with the drivers help? Just trying to clear the obstacles for people!

Yes, DaveF, we had PMed on this, thanks
Last edited by jkeny on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.Ciunas.biz
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I'd certainly be interested in listening to the JKDac in my system but I'm in the middle of a house move at the moment so it'll take me a week or two more until I'm settled. I'll get back to you then John.
I'm one of the few who heard the JKdac go toe to toe with the hughly expensive dCS player. The differences betweem the two were extremely small and on some recordings I doubt you'd be able to tell the differences at all.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

jkeny wrote:Maybe, I'm feeling a bit hung-over after last night's wine? Don't know?
Ah now... it can't be that! ;)
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable