What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: I must get my Vivaldi out again this week, or Fergus will be after me with a sharp, pointy stick.. ;-)
I was about to start prodding all right!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
bombasticDarren

Post by bombasticDarren »

Schumann - Overture: Die Braut von Messina & Symphony No.1 Spring (Riccardo Muti, Philharmonia Orchestra, EMI)

bombasticDarren

Schumann - Symphony No.2 (Riccardo Muti, Philharmonia Orchestra, EMI)

Jared

Post by Jared »

a thoroughly delightful boxset...
bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:Image

a thoroughly delightful boxset...
I agree Jared. I find the LvB's work for piano trio to be thoroughly engaging and tuneful...
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:I agree Jared. I find the LvB's work for piano trio to be thoroughly engaging and tuneful...
Darren, do you own this set? If so, how would you compare it in terms of quality with the Florestans, which presently resides in my Amazon box?
bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:I agree Jared. I find the LvB's work for piano trio to be thoroughly engaging and tuneful...
Darren, do you own this set? If so, how would you compare it in terms of quality with the Florestans, which presently resides in my Amazon box?
I haven't quite got all the way through the Florestan set, but I think they just edge it. The recording is warmer and the playing is less abrasive. I am a huge fan of both ensembles though - they are stalwarts of my chamber collection!
Jared

Post by Jared »

this really is a super set. out of choice I would go for this over the Du Pre/ Barenboim one, although I must say that I'm glad to have them both, because they are quite different. this set demonstrates a delicate fluency and an understanding between soloists which really would be hard to beat. the Du Pre set is slightly hampered by poorer recording, some of which is live with attendant coughing fits from the audience. that aside, she is characteristically forceful in her style, at times dynamic and at others bordering on abrasive... still however, a characterful set of performances.
Jared

Post by Jared »

bombasticDarren wrote:I haven't quite got all the way through the Florestan set, but I think they just edge it. The recording is warmer and the playing is less abrasive. I am a huge fan of both ensembles though - they are stalwarts of my chamber collection!

Thanks Darren. As and when the time comes for the purchase of a 2nd set of these works, this will probably be it. As it was, I saw the Beaux set for a tenner and couldn't resist.. ;-)
bombasticDarren

Jared wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:I haven't quite got all the way through the Florestan set, but I think they just edge it. The recording is warmer and the playing is less abrasive. I am a huge fan of both ensembles though - they are stalwarts of my chamber collection!

Thanks Darren. As and when the time comes for the purchase of a 2nd set of these works, this will probably be it. As it was, I saw the Beaux set for a tenner and couldn't resist.. ;-)
You were fortunate it was so cheap! I bought it a couple of years ago for twice the price! :-(