Electronica - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
tony

Re: Electronica - what are you listening to?

Post by tony »

Thanks Dermot will dip my toes gently. I liked Jon Hassels work with Talking Heads so may give that a go. Will go back to on land and see what inspiring drone bit I missed first time!
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
cybot

Post by cybot »

Coming near the end of my week long foray into the EG label, here's two more. The Plateux of Mirror in particular is a quiet grower and all the better for it. No need to say anything about My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, is there? Way ahead of it's time and stunning too :) The remastered edition doesn't add anything to it's voodoo magic either....

cybot

Post by cybot »

Listening to this pre-release download from Experimedia Records...

Woven Tide is the debut album by From The Mouth of The Sun, the new collaboration between Dag Rosenqvist, aka Jasper TX, and Aaron Martin.

http://soundcloud.com/experimedia/from- ... e-sun-like - listen

Out of the charred embers of dusk Woven Tide emerges with an incandescent glow. Each glimmer cast by the sustained notes of ebony keys, the taut strings of the cello, and the rampant buzz of guitar lights our way, gives us hope, brings us into the dawn of a new day. As From The Mouth of the Sun, the duo act as our torchbearers, scrawling messages along the walls of an elongated cave, toiling through the decayed remnants of fetid matter to create eight
illuminating pieces. The listener, who has wiled away the hours, will find a door; Woven Tide will be the light out of the darkness." - Michael Vitrano / Desire Path Recordings

All though you can argue this to be a bit of an early announcement, we simply can't hold it back: From The Mouth of The Sun's Woven Tide is already one of our favourite records this year, exploring the classical ambient space with bright, magnificent beauty. Being the result of a collaboration between Gothenburg's Dag Rosenqvist (aka Jasper TX) and Topeka, Kansas composer Aaron Martin, both Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Berlin-based composer Mac Richter will instantely come to mind throughout its 44 minute long spin. However, I can't help but drawing an additional line to Tim Hecker in Woven Tide; sometimes playing with vast elements of drone somewhere deep inside of their beautiful, organic creature. It almost fits a little too well to the sound of my own shoes walking down the slowly awaking streets of Berlin - adopting sounds from the environment like a soundtrack to a film, but with constant motion in this chaotic world.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I enjoyed this one, a nice mellow CD, Biosphere N-Plants.

Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Both vinyl....Trying to make sense of these, especially the first (double)! The Jan Steele on Discreet is rather more listenable, to say the least....It features (poetic) contributions from the likes of Robert Wyatt and Carla Bley.

cybot

Post by cybot »

On the eternally revolving Nottingham Analogue.....this music stops time.

Wolf Notes
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Currently listening to .... Demdike Stare.... Tryptych, 3 albums in one package... Forest of Evil, Liberation through hearing and Voices of Dust. One requires to be very much in the groove for this mis mash complexity of sounds, however some nice tracks.

http://www.modern-love.co.uk/releases/tryptych

"23 tracks/160 minute triple album The music Demdike Stare make is hard to pin down, based largely around archival musical sources ranging from obscure library records to long forgotten jazz, early electronic, and industrial recordings, alongside an array of Iranian, Pakistani, Turkish and Eastern European material largely unknown in the Western world. Demdike Stare absorb and re-align these found sounds via their ever-expanding array of analogue machinery, ending up with something that is in part Plunderphonic, but ultimately completely new. Their music has sometimes been lumped-in with the Hypnagogic, Hauntological and, most recently, ‘Witch House’ movements, but ultimately Demdike Stare should appeal to anyone with an interest in everything from classic KPM library records through to the music of Basic Channel and all the way to the smudged, altered-realities of James Ferraro and The Caretaker. That is, at least until the next record, when the frames of reference might just change up and take them somewhere completely different…"

Source www.modern-love.co.uk
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:Currently listening to .... Demdike Stare.... Tryptych, 3 albums in one package... Forest of Evil, Liberation through hearing and Voices of Dust. One requires to be very much in the groove for this mis mash complexity of sounds, however some nice tracks.

http://www.modern-love.co.uk/releases/tryptych

"23 tracks/160 minute triple album The music Demdike Stare make is hard to pin down, based largely around archival musical sources ranging from obscure library records to long forgotten jazz, early electronic, and industrial recordings, alongside an array of Iranian, Pakistani, Turkish and Eastern European material largely unknown in the Western world. Demdike Stare absorb and re-align these found sounds via their ever-expanding array of analogue machinery, ending up with something that is in part Plunderphonic, but ultimately completely new. Their music has sometimes been lumped-in with the Hypnagogic, Hauntological and, most recently, ‘Witch House’ movements, but ultimately Demdike Stare should appeal to anyone with an interest in everything from classic KPM library records through to the music of Basic Channel and all the way to the smudged, altered-realities of James Ferraro and The Caretaker. That is, at least until the next record, when the frames of reference might just change up and take them somewhere completely different…"

Source http://www.modern-love.co.uk
Good man Adrian, you're in the ultracool set now ;) I only have a 12 inch (Forest of Evil Dusk/Forest of Evil Dawn) and for some obscure reason I wasn't too enamoured by them! I'll check them out later to see why. BTW I'm sure you know that the label Modern Love is an offshoot of Boomkat! So beware of strongly biased reviews :)

Listening to the 12 inch at the moment and they remind me a lot of Banco De Gaia in The Last Train To Lhasa days and not sounding very original either! Now I know why....

By the way, how adventurous are you? What about checking out the unbelievable electronic pioneers like Daphne Oram? On the link above you'll find her last set, namely The Daphne Oram Tapes Vol. One. This is a sumptious 4 Lp set - cd set coming soon....
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I think I will have to wait for the CD version Dermot, CD is very portable, can be copied onto Ipod etc.

In relation to Vinyl, I do strongly believe in Vinyl, however it is not as portable as CD. I did look on ebay for a analogue to digital converter, Benchmark seem to retail one around 1400 dollars, I could be wrong as my memory is not the best.

Anyway I am not in the league for a A2D unit just yet.

I relation to the Daphne Oram, yeah I would give it a try, but not until it is out on CD!!
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:I think I will have to wait for the CD version Dermot, CD is very portable, can be copied onto Ipod etc.

In relation to Vinyl, I do strongly believe in Vinyl, however it is not as portable as CD. I did look on ebay for a analogue to digital converter, Benchmark seem to retail one around 1400 dollars, I could be wrong as my memory is not the best.

Anyway I am not in the league for a A2D unit just yet.

I relation to the Daphne Oram, yeah I would give it a try, but not until it is out on CD!!
I await your verdict with bated breath ;) Make sure you listen to samples though, if you can find them, before you buy. To some eejits 'old' electronic music is just either noise or Dr. Who :) You've been warned! Oh, and when and if you eventually get the set, it has to be heard on a hi fi system NOT on the pod! If you don't believe me, try it and see...Anyway managed to find a yt sample plus something from the first collection....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4tEJz6n ... ata_player - 2001 effects tape from Oram Tapes Vol. One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-42hkAfk ... ata_player - Four Aspects from 'Oramics'