What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by cybot »

Just back from Villanova Junction....on a high :-))) Went up to the capital to collect the 'new' Jimi Hendrix double vinyl set ('Valley's of Neptune') and arrived home with,not one, not two but three(!??!?) Jimi Hendrix Lps....God knows I have enough of the great man!! Anyhow it was a great way to spend my birthday money :-)))

Tower:
1.Jimi Hendrix - 'Valleys of Neptune' - Sounds fantastic which makes me wonder about Fran's comment on the CD version being described as 'bright'.......

2.Jimi Hendrix - 'Band of Gypsies' - Classic remaster and my umpteenth version/copy!!

3.Leaf Hound - 'Grower of Mushrooms' on Akarma

4.Junior Wells - 'Hoodoo Man Blues'

Borderline Records:(Big mistake!??!)

1.Jimi Hendrix - 'In From The Storm' - Sumptious double on Swingin' Pig Records of a concert he gave the night after the IOW
gig somewhere in Sweden on 31/08/1970.They were charging €39.99 for this one but a quick listen left
me feeling ecstactic :-))) I actually walked out without buying it but returned later to claim my prize.It's also
a limited run of 500 copies (my number is 458) and I spotted a few copies sticking out of a rather large box...
I was also looking at another double - outtakes from Electric Ladyland - but sense prevailed (for the time
being anyway!)

In From The Storm - Front..

In From The Storm - Inside..
Last edited by cybot on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAW

Post by JAW »

cybot wrote:Just back from Villanova Junction....on a high :-))) Went up to the capital to collect the 'new' Jimi Hendrix double vinyl set ('Valley's of Neptune') and arrived home with,not one, not two but three(!??!?) Jimi Hendrix Lps....God knows I have enough of the great man!! Anyhow it was a great way to spend my birthday money :-)))
Tower:
1.Jimi Hendrix - 'Valleys of Neptune' - Sounds fantastic which makes me wonder about Fran's comment on the CD version being described as 'bright'.......

2.Jimi Hendrix - 'Band of Gypsies' - Classic remaster and my umpteenth version/copy!!

3.Leaf Hound - 'Grower of Mushrooms' on Akarma

4.Junior Wells - 'Hoodoo Man Blues'

Borderline Records:(Big mistake!??!)

1.Jimi Hendrix - 'In From The Storm' - Sumptious double on Swingin' Pig Records of a concert he gave the night after the IOW
gig somewhere in Sweden on 31/08/1970.They were charging €39.99 for this one but a quick listen left
me feeling ecstactic :-))) I actually walked out without buying it but returned later to claim my prize.It's also
a limited run of 500 copies (my number is 458) and I spotted a few copies sticking out of a rather large box...
I was also looking at another double - outtakes from Electric Ladyland - but sense prevailed (for the time
being anyway!)

In From The Storm - Front..

In From The Storm - Inside..
Great selection there! Enjoy!!!!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Wow....a real spending spree Dermot....enjoy the bunch!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

Thanks J and fergus, I had a totally unexpected ball today :-))
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

mmm, maybe the CD version ain't so good. Might go and pick up the vinyl version so, see how that sounds. The content on the album is pretty good, so prolly worth it alright.

Interesting one from borderline. I kinda gave up going in there after repeated bad pressings. He always changed them no problem but it was a PITA. Might be worth it for a jimi though. Please do let us know how it goes...

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:

mmm, maybe the CD version ain't so good. Might go and pick up the vinyl version so, see how that sounds. The content on the album is pretty good, so prolly worth it alright.

Interesting one from borderline. I kinda gave up going in there after repeated bad pressings. He always changed them no problem but it was a PITA. Might be worth it for a jimi though. Please do let us know how it goes...

Fran
Well I listened to the 'Borderline' Jimi last night and it left me exhilarated and exhausted in equal measure!!While I was a bit suspicious about whether he actually did a concert the day following his exhausting all nighter at the IOW....when I got home I consulted my Jimi bible 'Electric Gypsy' (1990) and lo and behold, there it was on page 696, his concert in Stora Scenen,Grona Lund, Tivoli Garden, Stockholm with almost the full track listing as on the record I got yesterday!??!!? Oh me of little faith! On consulting another book 'Eyewitness Hendrix' by Johnny Black, this is what Chas Chandler had to say about the gig: "He was wrecked. He'd start a song, get into the solo section and then he wouldn't even remember what song they were playing at the time.He'd come into a different song.It was a disasterous concert,it was really awful to watch."

My impression is Jimi wanted to stay permanently in the solo section which means you get plenty of incendiary guitar and muffled vocals but a sad vision of a great man fighting with his demons and losing.....Only really for the Hendrix fanatic.Am I happy I bought it? 100% yes :-))) for the simple reason I'm hearing the real Hendrix and not the edited, homogenised version.
Re: pressing : it sounds ok to me ie no clicks and pops; as for anything else I wouldn't be in a position to hear any other flaws TG!!

Track listing:
Lover Man/Catfish Blues (short 3 min instr.)/Ezy Ryder/Red House
Come On (Part 1)/Room Full of Mirrors/Villanova Junction/Hey Baby medley
Machine Gun/Voodoo Chile (barely recognisable!)
Message to Love/In From The Storm/Purple Haze/Foxy Lady/Star Spangled Banner

Incidentally the next night he played in Vejlby Risskov Hallen,Arhus, played two songs and left the stage due to
total exhaustion;then followed only three more gigs at the K.B. Hallen, Copenhagen, Super Concert 70, Deutschlandhalle,Berlin and his final gig at the love and Peace Festival (sic), Isle of Fehmarn on the 6th of Sept. 1970....
Hope that helps...[/color]
cybot

Post by cybot »

This little beauty arrived this morning from Kning Disk - they have a sale on at the
moment and I took advantage even though I already have a much treasured and
long deleted 10" version. I'm not at all familiar with the rest of the label's output
except for Nils Frahm..

Peter Broderick - 'Docile'

http://www.kningdisk.com/index_spring_sale.htm

http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=73031
JAW

Post by JAW »

Got these today - reckon I'll be at home tonight so!

From many, many teenage parties, many many years ago! Who hasn't played air guitar to Freebird?

Got this on Cybot's recommendation - been anticipating it's arrival for nearly a week.

The track listing on this is just so good!
Last edited by JAW on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

JAW wrote:Got these today - reckon I'll be at home tonight so!

From many, many teenage parties, many many years ago? Who hasn't air guitar to Freebird?

Got this on Cybot's recommendation - been anticipating it's arrival for nearly a week.

The track listing on this is just so good!
That selection really takes me back especially the first one and the last :-))) Anyway lock the door and throw away the key as Neil once said 'Tonight's the Night'.... Hope you enjoy the Gdansk gig.
fergus

Post by fergus »

JAW wrote:Image
That one really takes me back....great stuff!!!
Enjoy your purchases!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra