What are you listening to?

bombasticDarren

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by bombasticDarren »

Bartok - Piano Concerto No.3 (Peter Donohoe/Simon Rattle, City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra, EMI)

ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

bombasticDarren wrote:Last night I attended an all Sibelius concert performed by Okko Kamu and the Lahti Symphony Orchestra.

They did not disappoint...:-D
Niiiiiiiice!!!!!! The Sibelius symphony cycle of the LSO with Vanska is among my favorites. Thanks to this information I now know that you were in London last night. Is that where you live? Sorry to ask. I knew where Sean, Fergus and Jared were from but not you.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Sibelius - Symphony No.1 (Paavo Berglund, Helsinki Philharmonic Orchestra, EMI)

I was sad to learn that Berglund died yesterday, may he Rest in Peace.
I have that full cycle too and I always liked it. The 3rd and 5th are suberb in that cycle. R.I.P. maestro Berglund.

Matt.
Seán

Post by Seán »

Bedřich Smetana
Má Vlast

Boston Symphony Orchestra
Rafael Kubelik - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

ravel30 wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:Last night I attended an all Sibelius concert performed by Okko Kamu and the Lahti Symphony Orchestra.

Niiiiiiiice!!!!!! The Sibelius symphony cycle of the LSO with Vanska is among my favorites.
Mine too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
bombasticDarren

Seán wrote:

You lucky man, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
It was great stuff all round. Although I appreciate the Violin Concerto, I never truly liked it until I heard last nights performance. It's a cliche I guess, but a Finnish orchestra playing great Finnish music has a special authenticity to it - the music is in the players bones from childhood I would imagine. Also, the venue (Cadogan Hall) was amazing; I have attended there for smaller scale works before, but this was my first orchestral concert. I will go there again for this as acoustics were really top notch and the climaxes rang out brilliantly and the quieter moments were always audible. However, the cougher who piped up between the 2nd and 3rd of the emphatic final chords of the 5th symphony deserves no praise at all....;-)

http://www.classicalsource.com/db_contr ... hp?id=9895
Last edited by bombasticDarren on Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bombasticDarren

ravel30 wrote:

Niiiiiiiice!!!!!! The Sibelius symphony cycle of the LSO with Vanska is among my favorites. Thanks to this information I now know that you were in London last night. Is that where you live? Sorry to ask. I knew where Sean, Fergus and Jared were from but not you.
I live just outside Ipswich Matt. It's a medium sized town about 70 miles from London - 75 minutes on the train.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

fergus wrote:
ravel30 wrote: The university where I work (and studied) at has an agreement with Naxos to give access to their entire collection to their students/employee. As a result...I can listen to anything I want from Naxos, BIS, CPO, CHANDOS, EMI CLASSICS, BBC LEGENDS and many more. Nothing like owing the cd and listening to it on your radio but still a great way to explore and discover new works suggested by any of you.
That is such a wonderful facility to be able to avail of Matt! You lucky so and so!!! If I were you I would be listening to as much as time physically allowed and building up a list of recordings that I really liked with a view to buying them when funds allowed!
It sure is amazing. Yesterday, I listened to the first two movements of Schumann's 3rd symphony of a few recordings:

and I wanted to listen to the following that I once heard on the radio and really like but it was not available to play

They were all different in their ways which was nice. I was impressed with the Sawallisch set and the Gielen set took me by surprise. It was a very modern recording with ultra clear sound.

Matt.
ravel30

Post by ravel30 »

bombasticDarren wrote:
ravel30 wrote:

I live just outside Ipswich Matt. It's a medium sized town about 70 miles from London - 75 minutes on the train.
Great. I know about Ipswich. This is where Greg Forrest (one of the best canadian football goaltender) used to play. Nice to hear that Darren.

Matt.
bombasticDarren

^^ I lost my Muti cycle due to water damage. I must get another copy, as I recall that it was very good. The Dausgaard recordings are next on my Schumann to-do list though....