What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:
I meant to listen in, but we had visitors, I was particularly interested in taking an offsite storage copy of the Brahms piece as I do not have a copy of it in my collection, I'm sorry I missed it.
Sean: two versions of the Brahms Double which I can *highly* recommend:

I simply wouldn't be without either...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:^^ I think we'd all be interested in your reflections on the JSB cantatas Jared. Just don't post the picture...
Consider it an artists impression of Fergus when he's listening to Chopin.
LOL!!! Painful I tells ya, painful!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: I might be listening to all this religious music with little to no respect for the sanctity of the church calendar, but I'm really having a wonderful time with it all, and can see that in years to come, when my appreciation and understanding has matured, that I will be following in Fergus' footsteps, in digging out the appropriate canata/ motet/ oratorio for the occasion... in a far more reverend fashion... ;-)
Do nothing other than enjoy it at the moment Jared; that is the correct approach. The one thing that I would, however, point out is that the Cantatas are like modern soundtracks to film in that they are designed to create mood music to what was going on in the church at the time. The Cantatas are all based on the relevant Gospel reading for that particular day so obviously JS wrote his music in an appropriate mood. Christmas is a joyous time hence the Christmas Cantatas and the Christmas Oratorio are celebratory music and so on.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: I meant to listen in, but we had visitors, I was particularly interested in taking an offsite storage copy of the Brahms piece as I do not have a copy of it in my collection, I'm sorry I missed it.
It was a fine performance Seán, particularly of the Beethoven. I always thought very highly of Markson as I consider that he brought our Orchestra to higher levels during his tenure.

In addition to Jared's recommendation let me also throw in the one below as it contains another work which is also worthwhile having if you do not already own it....

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
bombasticDarren wrote:^^ I think we'd all be interested in your reflections on the JSB cantatas Jared. Just don't post the picture...
when anyone suggests that I give Debussy (yet another) try, I might refer them to this post... ;-)

Fergus, seriously, have you ever tried his delightful Cello Sonata? I've never heard this recording, but the Du Pre twofer with Brahms & Franck is ridiculously cheap at present, and may give you a slightly different approach to his work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brahms-Chopin-F ... 796&sr=1-1

just a thought...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote:
Seán wrote:
I meant to listen in, but we had visitors, I was particularly interested in taking an offsite storage copy of the Brahms piece as I do not have a copy of it in my collection, I'm sorry I missed it.
Sean: two versions of the Brahms Double which I can *highly* recommend:

I simply wouldn't be without either...
mmm, with Abbado and/or Chailly, two wonderful options, thanks Jared.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
You really do surprise me Fergus, Chopin's music is sublime.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: I meant to listen in, but we had visitors, I was particularly interested in taking an offsite storage copy of the Brahms piece as I do not have a copy of it in my collection, I'm sorry I missed it.
It was a fine performance Seán, particularly of the Beethoven. I always thought very highly of Markson as I consider that he brought our Orchestra to higher levels during his tenure.

In addition to Jared's recommendation let me also throw in the one below as it contains another work which is also worthwhile having if you do not already own it....

Thanks Fergus, I have the Beethoven Triple Concerto as it is included in the Richter EMI ICON box set.

You have a PM.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Concerto No.20, 21 & 22 from this mammoth vinyl boxset.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP