What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: Image
I know that you felt that the speeds were slower than you anticipated but what did you think of it Jared?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ it's a strange one... it's been criticised for overly brisk tempos, but I don't feel they are too bad to be honest. I think it's a good performance all round, although the sound quality would only garner a 4/5 (probably more to do with the acoustics of the venue), and the tenor is a little underpowered in places, especially in the opening section... otherwise its a perfectly respectable addition to my collection.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ it's a strange one... it's been criticised for overly brisk tempos, but I don't feel they are too bad to be honest. I think it's a good performance all round, although the sound quality would only garner a 4/5 (probably more to do with the acoustics of the venue), and the tenor is a little underpowered in places, especially in the opening section... otherwise its a perfectly respectable addition to my collection.
Thank you Jared....appreciated!
fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl, 2 LP set....

Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ an intriguing looking disk, Fergus. Is that a more recently 'compiled' programme, like the Vespers 1643, or more authentic as a unified body of work?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ an intriguing looking disk, Fergus. Is that a more recently 'compiled' programme, like the Vespers 1643, or more authentic as a unified body of work?
It is a compiled programme apparently based on certain psalm settings which would fit into the known framework of the Christmas services at St. Mark's....apparently Monteverdi attached the greatest importance to the Christmas Vespers and Mass for St. Mark's. It is a lovely programme I have to say.
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ interesting. it's obviously a fairly old recording from a group I have never heard of. Would they be considered to present their material from a historically informed perspective, like say Pro Cantione Antiqua? Is there any nod to the instruments of the time, or is it performed by a small string orchestra?

meanwhile:

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ interesting. it's obviously a fairly old recording from a group I have never heard of. Would they be considered to present their material from a historically informed perspective, like say Pro Cantione Antiqua? Is there any nod to the instruments of the time, or is it performed by a small string orchestra?
I don't know whether you noticed in my original post Jared that it is a 2 LP vinyl set. It was released in 1980 and it is all modern instruments. Sure you were only a lad running around in nappies when it was all happening!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: Image

I listened to both of those sets myself recently Jared....there is some wonderful music in there.