What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: What music did you buy/get in the post today?

Post by cybot »

mick wrote:Image

excellent
I've been tempted by this but I thought what's the point! The vinyl edition is going for a great price too....
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

On Vinyl....

Image Image

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

On 2 disc vinyl and an enclosed CD

this too

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Have you seen this one Ivor? Got an update from VT last night and thought you'd be interested....It'll blend in nicely with the Ry Cooder too :-)

£14.99 with postage extra....

Volcanic Tongue:

Necessary compilation of every single track (minus alternate versions) recorded by gospel/blues legend Blind Willie Johnson for the first time. Johnson is of course best-loved for his harrowing slide-guitar performance “Dark Was The Night Cold Was The Ground” and the rendering of it here is truly stellar sounding, massively upgraded from so many poor-quality comp versions. But there’s much more to Johnson than that, this set features some of the darkest, desperate man gospelising ever captured on wax alongside a bunch of house rockers, zoned duets, gruff, ass-blasting country blues and some truly astounding fretwork all accompanied by *that* voice. One of the titans of 20th century music finally giving the collection he deserves. Gatefold sleeve. Highly recommended.

Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:Have you seen this one Ivor? Got an update from VT last night and thought you'd be interested....It'll blend in nicely with the Ry Cooder too :-)
Looks really great but it will have to wait. I have limited (but valued!) listening time these days and there's more vinyl ordered and on the way. I'm going to give it a few weeks before ordering any more new stuff.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote:Have you seen this one Ivor? Got an update from VT last night and thought you'd be interested....It'll blend in nicely with the Ry Cooder too :-)
Looks really great but it will have to wait. I have limited (but valued!) listening time these days and there's more vinyl ordered and on the way. I'm going to give it a few weeks before ordering any more new stuff.
Same position myself :-( That's another reason I cancelled the Ry order.....
cybot

Post by cybot »

Arrived just now from Boomkat.....

Double vinyl....
cybot

Post by cybot »

What a horrible day to go up to Dublin! Anyway I managed to swim through the Tower gates and nab the selection below....Taken completely by surprise with the Brendan Perry opus, price included :-( All vinyl....

Double vinyl edition......I waited long enough!

Indignant Senility - Consecration of the Whipstain Another double...

A Christmas present for an old Beatles fan....yet another double!
fergus

Post by fergus »

cybot wrote: Image
What is that one all about Dermot?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

fergus wrote:
cybot wrote: Image
What is that one all about Dermot?
Apparently it's his debut orchestral score for dance and it's performed by the London Classical Orchestra. It also contains a digital download plus a bonus live recording of the New York Gala Premeire. Find a couple of customer reviews below:

Amazon :
I bought Ocean`s Kingdom on a whim, being an old Beatles and Macca fan with an interest in symphonies. Seeing it on sale today (release date 4.10.2011) I thought I might give it a shot. Expectations were, however, in the low range.

What a pleasant surprise was in store!

The first movement and title song is a slow one that begins in a somber style but slowly in a wavelength fashion adds more life into it. Despite being in the Adagio zone, it has all the Macca joyfulness one would expect, sometimes it is turgid and not panning out (he should have had an editor often during his solo years) but here it shines.

The Hall of Dance is, as the title indicates, starts more in the up-tempo arena. It has a Nordic and Slavic feel to it, written rather obviously with ballet dancers in mind. The middle section slows things down a bit and is probably the weakest part of the set. The finale of the movement is still very good.

The third movement, Imprisonment, is the best one. There is something haunting about this piece, slow but yet full of life. A natural flow of feelings set in a rather ambient arrangement.

Moonrise, the final movement, sets light to the set with what I would believe is descriptive or program music. There is much action going on during this set with a magnificent and joyful ending.

Despite being a traditional classical ballet score, the Macca touches are apparent. For those who appreciate classical music and are old Beatles and/or Macca fans, I recommend this set.

This is Macca's best classical work yet! I wonder if this has anything to do with that it is all music, no lyrics to worry about. Paul has to take his listeners on a journey which can be "seen" (in a presentation of an orchestra and a troupe of ballet dancers) or "heard" (listening to the music on CD, at home, spread over a couch with a glass of, well whatever one wishes). I write about this music not having seen the ballet and as such I have to imagine the movements of the dancers that it was written to accompany. Right from the start, I was hooked as the music took me in and played with my imagination for about an hour. I was sometimes relaxed, sometimes challenged by the music, but ultimately I was taken to a lovely restful place where I just delighted to be. It is really beautiful music. Because Paul McCartney cannot read or write music, some wonder as to how much of his classical pieces have been his work or the work of arrangers etc. I couldn't care less! This piece is a gem. Make your own journey to wherever, as you join Macca as a ballet composer. It's worth the ticket!