Blues - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Blues - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

More vinyl from Crosscut Records....

Last edited by cybot on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

More instrumental magic....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

New double LP released this year.

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Derek

Post by Derek »

NigeAmp, NigeSD DAC, Airtight ATM-4, Ruark Accolades, Pink Triangle TT, Roksan Artimiz, Clearaudio Discovery, Tom Evans Microgroove Plus, Fran DAC, Dalkey Audio Interconnects.
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Picked this up in tower today...

Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Last night's listening bought yesterday morning at teh HiFi show.

I first bought "serve you right to suffer" in some market when I was about 13. It was so warped it caused sea sickness and a mate borrowed it once and I never saw it again. So getting a nice 180gm "Speakers Corner" edition made my day/week/month/year. It still sounds absolutely fantastic.

The other discs here are also 180gm vinyl.

Tommy Johnston recordings fron 1928 - '29

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Inspired by Ivor's John Lee purchase...

This is the record that started me on the John Lee slope; it's on the dubious Bulldog Records label and in Stereo Enhanced Mono. Yeuch!! Got it in Virgin Records on the Quays....where the multiple halogen lights used to roast me alive ;-)

Tracklist▼
A1 Little Wheel
A2 I'm In The Mood
A3 Hobo Blues
A4 Crawling King Snake
A5 Blues Before Sunrise
B1 Want Ad Blues
B2 My First Wife Left Me
B3 Wednesday Evening Blues
B4 Maudie
B5 Time Is Marching

This is something I picked up in Belfast aeons ago. It's a double vinyl package and it's John Lee alone. The spookiest blues you will ever hear from John Lee. Absolutely stunning :-))))

"Hooker is, as the title suggests, alone on this recording, or is he, his guitar lines dart and shimmer like shades in a forest before spilling forth a torrent of staccatto notes like some billious monster belching forth an all destroying fire.
Charles Shaar Murray dedicates one of his chapters 'Dark Room' to this album recorded in February 1976 at the Hunter College.
Hooker sound agitated from the off a short stark 'Maudie', mistitled on the sleeve as 'I Miss You So', leads off with Hooker throwing all pretense of time and form right out the window, before giving one of the most menecing performances of his career on the violently phrased 'Bad Like Jesse James'.
'Dark Room' is an exersise in minimalist terror, 'Jesse James' was pure horror but nothing prepares you for the naked despaire of this track which as the final chord stab dies away will have left you breathless.
The rest of the set is very good but once heard you'll have trouble getting past the bestial beauty that are 'Jesse James' & 'Dark Room'.
A marvelous recording and greatly overlooked by many Hooker fans"
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Picked up from Spindizzy on an opportunistic hit and run today. Both 180gm virgin vinyl on Doxy Records
all from 1955 ish in glorious mono.

Original recording of Strange Fruit etc in 1939 along with a 1944 recording session
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

This was mentioned in the rock thread, had to dig it out to hear it again:

Its good enough alright, excellently played as you'd imagine and sounds good too, maybe a little short on the emotion though.
Do or do not, there is no try
DancingPriest

Post by DancingPriest »

Discovered this one on Spotify after mentioning I like John Martyn.