What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: for the Beethoven, think about his Hummel and Haydn sets... he simply excelled at this style of choral works with Collegium 90, and provides an excellent counterpart to the Gardiner, if one should want two versions of the LvB Mass in C in your collection... Chandos recording typically high quality.

I think you'll agree that the Haydn and Hummel sets were arguably one of Hickox's greatest legacies (although I've not as yet heard his Haydn) and this disk is every bit as good..
You make a compelling case for the Beethoven!

In relation to the Haydn Masses, everything that you have said above equally applies!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
How does Norrington do with that one Dave?
fergus

Post by fergus »

This is a wonderful, powerful and assertive performance that is a little on the dark side of interpretation. It is a very thoughtful and sensitive performance which was thoroughly enjoyable.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: You make a compelling case for the Beethoven!
yes, its the 24 bit mastering they use, and the close mike effect which makes you feel they are in the same room as you are... couple that with Hickox' genuine affinity for this type of music, and soloists of the quality of Evans, Stephen, Padmore & Varcoe and its difficult to see how you could go wrong...
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Image

This is a wonderful, powerful and assertive performance that is a little on the dark side of interpretation. It is a very thoughtful and sensitive performance which was thoroughly enjoyable.
hmm.. I like my Schubert 8/9 a little on the darker, brooding side... that actually may be worth a consideration..
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
Its a mixed performance for me Fergus. The first 2 movements are particularly well done but the last 2 lack some drama. The climax just never really builds enough and at the end you're kinda sitting there wishing there was some more. Still though, its one that I seem to come back to time and time again.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

I had wondered what Mr McCreesh would do with this opening... now I know!

1st listen...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

hmm.. I like my Schubert 8/9 a little on the darker, brooding side... that actually may be worth a consideration..
Wand's interpretations are always worth considering IMHO.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:
Its a mixed performance for me Fergus. The first 2 movements are particularly well done but the last 2 lack some drama. The climax just never really builds enough and at the end you're kinda sitting there wishing there was some more. Still though, its one that I seem to come back to time and time again.
Cheers for that Dave....it is a work that needs to be belted out, I do agree.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:I had wondered what Mr McCreesh would do with this opening... now I know!

1st listen...
I wonder are you and I the only members of the McCreesh appreciation society?