another first listen...

First impressions?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

These are very engaging performances that are very well played. The Water music is particularly good with a beautiful shimmering opening.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:Image

another first listen...

First impressions?
very good indeed Fergus... just the sort of set I was looking for, with smaller forces... I'm becoming a big fan of Franz Bruggen, and Zehetmair is an excellent violinist; all in all beautifully packaged and excellent value. I have the legendary Grumiaux set on Philips which is also excellent, however prefer my Mozart and Haydn to be more HIP these days, so these two compliment each other well, and I'm happy... :-)
Jared

Post by Jared »

1st listen...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: very good indeed Fergus... just the sort of set I was looking for, with smaller forces... I'm becoming a big fan of Franz Bruggen, and Zehetmair is an excellent violinist; all in all beautifully packaged and excellent value. I have the legendary Grumiaux set on Philips which is also excellent, however prefer my Mozart and Haydn to be more HIP these days, so these two compliment each other well, and I'm happy... :-)
I am delighted that you liked them Jared. I too found them to be very polished performances that were also full of vitality.
I also agree that Bruggen is one of those that one cannot tend to go wrong with.
fergus

Post by fergus »

1st listen...
Interesting....how does Hickox do with Beethoven?
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:

1st listen...
Interesting....how does Hickox do with Beethoven?
I don't mind telling you.... I've been looking forward to today... I'm on my 5th '1st listen' of a recording on the trot, which is close to being inspired... Mackerras/ Brahms, Shaham/ Brahms, Hope/ Mendelssohn, Zehetmair/ Mozart and now this... its the value of listening to others, doing research and choosing your recordings carefully... :-)

for the Beethoven, think about his Hummel and Haydn sets... he simply excelled at this style of choral works with Collegium 90, and provides an excellent counterpart to the Gardiner, if one should want two versions of the LvB Mass in C in your collection... Chandos recording typically high quality.

I think you'll agree that the Haydn and Hummel sets were arguably one of Hickox's greatest legacies (although I've not as yet heard his Haydn) and this disk is every bit as good..
Jared

Post by Jared »

1st listen...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP