What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote: I think what you have my friend, is called an addiction... help is available, you know...;-)

LOL....but I think that I am in the wrong place (here) for that!!!
yes, it would be a little like going to alcoholics anonymous, only for the bloke sat next to you to fetch an unlabeled bottle out of a brown paper bag and say 'ere, try some of this'!...

final traversal through this set for the time being...

PC Nos 17 & 26 'Coronation'
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:This is a late sixteenth century comedy that is presented in a series of madrigal scenes. I really like it and I find it unusual; there is some lovely music in it and it is well performed although it would not be to everyone’s taste.
Fergus, would this sound a little like Monteverdi's books of Madrigals?
Indeed it would Jared but linked into a sort of madrigal opera if you see what I mean?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

This contains some really lovely music that is beautifully sung. Simon’s recollection of this disc did not fail him as there is a beautiful, soaring soprano line running through these works that is sung with ethereal quality and clarity.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:This is a late sixteenth century comedy that is presented in a series of madrigal scenes. I really like it and I find it unusual; there is some lovely music in it and it is well performed although it would not be to everyone’s taste.
Fergus, would this sound a little like Monteverdi's books of Madrigals?
Indeed it would Jared but linked into a sort of madrigal opera if you see what I mean?
I mean this in the nicest way possible... that wouldn't be everyone's cuppa... I think that in my early enthusiasm for his 1610 Vespers (the very first Renaissance disk I ever heard, over 3 years ago now), I rushed headlong into his books of Madrigals a little too early, and after a few listens through, put them on the back burner... I will return to them in due course, when I have garnered a little more experience with different composers within the Ren/ EM scene...
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: I mean this in the nicest way possible... that wouldn't be everyone's cuppa... I think that in my early enthusiasm for his 1610 Vespers (the very first Renaissance disk I ever heard, over 3 years ago now), I rushed headlong into his books of Madrigals a little too early, and after a few listens through, put them on the back burner... I will return to them in due course, when I have garnered a little more experience with different composers within the Ren/ EM scene...
Oh I know that I plough a very lonely furrow with regard to Ren / EM Jared and that these two genres, let alone a madrigal opera are very far from most peoples' priority listening....ah well, on I go to listen to some Obrecht and Isaac.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: Oh I know that I plough a very lonely furrow with regard to Ren / EM Jared and that these two genres, let alone a madrigal opera are very far from most peoples' priority listening....ah well, on I go to listen to some Obrecht and Isaac.
I wasn't meaning it as a criticism... I just think that some of it is quite simply so far removed from our own listening experiences in 2011, that it can be quite a lot for the uninitiated to grasp...

says he, listening to LVB's op.133 'Grosse Fugue' at the moment... a piece I also find very hard to penetrate... :-/
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I've been working my way though this astounding 5CD set over the last week or so. Highly recommended.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.1
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ you strike me as a bit of a 'Lenny' fan Dave... how are you liking that box set?

Right now, I'm finishing off the Budapest's LvB SQs op.132 & 135... before moving on to a few Sonatas...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:^^ you strike me as a bit of a 'Lenny' fan Dave... how are you liking that box set?
I like a lot of his work Jared and in particular his film The Little Drummer Boy which helped me understand Mahlers work. From watching this and some youtube clips he came across as a likeable character.
His late Beethoven and Tchaikovsky cycles though are definitely ones to avoid. Way too slow and pondorous. Not what you want for those composers!

As for the set above, I think its a really good set and compliments the Gardiner ones I have.