What are you listening to?

Seán

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Wilhelm Stenhammar
Symphony No. 1

Göteborgs Symfoniker
Neeme Järvi - conducting.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ I think Dave is studiously ignoring our rude comments, Fergus... ;-))
Dave is a man of cultured refinement Jared and does not easily rise to yobs like us....besides, he is too busy moving his equipment around and building barricades before domestic warfare breaks out soon!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:Fergus, I see you're playing 'our tune'... one of your favourites and indeed mine (based on my Avatar!)
Not only do I think that it is a magnificent piece of music but it evokes many memories of holidays spent in the Austrian Tyrol, the Swiss Alps and the Italian Dolomites. I have ascended those slopes, been in those woods and meadows, seen those magical waterfalls, wondered at the magnificent sights from those summits and been caught in those exhilarating storms!
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:Image
I hover between the Hogwood and the Malgoire versions as my favourite in that work Dave.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image
I trust that you are enjoying that music Seán.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: Not only do I think that it is a magnificent piece of music but it evokes many memories of holidays spent in the Austrian Tyrol, the Swiss Alps and the Italian Dolomites. I have ascended those slopes, been in those woods and meadows, seen those magical waterfalls, wondered at the magnificent sights from those summits and been caught in those exhilarating storms!
a beautiful summation of the summits, Fergus....

there's a little more of the fjords, rivers and the majestic, rocky outcrops in this music, too...
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:Image
I trust that you are enjoying that music Seán.
Yes, I am, the only other set I have is by Serkins and Casals, this is a very welcome addition to my collection.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:Image
I have that one too Fergus. A work that I've found difficult to 'get' sometimes. Jordi Savall has a very interesting version that's done for stringed instruments.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

The constant fugal patterns can be tough for us mere mortals all right Dave but one keeps plugging away!!