What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:Image
How does this one measure up, Fergus? I would imagine it would be a fairly 'light' Titan, is it?
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:
Fergus, that looks interesting, is it worth getting?
I have that one a while now Seán and it is one of the best versions that I have heard!
Faust & Melnikov? Their magnificent reputations in this repertoire sell themselves... really should look into this one, myself... especially after:

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:[ the more traditional style with larger forces and slightly overblown, muddy sound, just dopesn't speak to me of Mozart any longer...
I agree Jared. I will only go for HIP recordings of Mozart as they give a far more interesting sound to me.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

Jared wrote: Faust & Melnikov? Their magnificent reputations in this repertoire sell themselves... really should look into this one, myself... especially after:

Good man Jared, (I hope that you are well), I have been looking for that cd for a wee while now. I must order it now that you have mentioned it and reminded me about it again.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Jared

Post by Jared »

Seán wrote:
Jared wrote: Faust & Melnikov? Their magnificent reputations in this repertoire sell themselves... really should look into this one, myself... especially after:

Good man Jared, (I hope that you are well), I have been looking for that cd for a wee while now. I must order it now that you have mentioned it and reminded me about it again.
I'm fine thanks Sean... although ridiculously bust at work...

it's quite simply top drawer, Sean... both for performance and recording... the Kreuzer in particular, will leave the hairs on the back of your neck, standing upright.... these two seem to be able to communicate telepathically in these works. A word to the wise though... the new set by Ibragimova & Tiberghien is meant to be on the same level of quality. I love Ibragimova's playing personally, so I'm not surprised, although I probably won't make the purchase, as I have two very fine, yet different sets now.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

on vinyl..

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

a third traversal of this set since it's purchase... perfectly satisfactory:

Concertos 11, 12 & 13.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
How does this one measure up, Fergus? I would imagine it would be a fairly 'light' Titan, is it?
You have got it in one Jared! I have this one for some time now and it is good but not great. I come back to it now and again to see whether my opinion of it changes but it is still far from my favourite.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:
I have that one a while now Seán and it is one of the best versions that I have heard!
Faust & Melnikov? Their magnificent reputations in this repertoire sell themselves... really should look into this one, myself...
I have found the Beethoven Violin Concerto a bit difficult to come to terms with over the years and this one plus an Oistrakh performance have helped me to finally come to get to grips with it!
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:on vinyl..

I like Norrington and I have a small amount of his recordings but none of Schubert....I must rectify that!