Electronica - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
cybot

Re: Electronica - what are you listening to?

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:Currently enjoying..

Nice one Adrian :-) I always loved some of the titles on this album, namely 'the big sleep in search of Hades' and '3am at the border of the marsh from okefenokee'. Do you own any other stuff by the Tangs? What did you think of the famous 6 CD Electronic sampler I did last year? You were on the list, weren't you? Have you heard Klaus Schulze music ? Sorry for all the questions! It's a rare occasion where I actually get talking to someone in this rather barren section ;-)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I have Rubycon, and I may have one or two others, can't remember. I would have to go up and have a look. As mentioned previously I don't get much time anymore to listen to de hifi. I did get a few hours last night however!!
As for the Cybot series, I completely forgot about it. The reason being I was going to get a copy of one of the other members after they had listened to it, however events keep catching up on me and my to do list just gets longer and longer. I currently have to get a report finished in 10 days time, however I have yet to get started!!! Dear oh dear.
If you still have a copy available then I would'nt mind one, however no rush as things are really busy here at the moment. Coincidently I was listening to Underworld on you tube last week. Great track, Rez Cowgirl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WY1qn-k9qE It featured in the film, Vanilla Sky, disco scene with Tom Cruise.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
cybot

Post by cybot »

Adrian wrote:I have Rubycon, and I may have one or two others, can't remember. I would have to go up and have a look. As mentioned previously I don't get much time anymore to listen to de hifi. I did get a few hours last night however!!
As for the Cybot series, I completely forgot about it. The reason being I was going to get a copy of one of the other members after they had listened to it, however events keep catching up on me and my to do list just gets longer and longer. I currently have to get a report finished in 10 days time, however I have yet to get started!!! Dear oh dear.
If you still have a copy available then I would'nt mind one, however no rush as things are really busy here at the moment. Coincidently I was listening to Underworld on you tube last week. Great track, Rez Cowgirl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WY1qn-k9qE It featured in the film, Vanilla Sky, disco scene with Tom Cruise.

Sorry to hear you never got the chance to hear the sampler. Unfortunately I don't have the full version of the sampler as I don't keep copies of stuff I record for other people (!?). I'll have a look anyway and see what I can find.... BTW good luck with the report. Thanks for the YouTube link, will watch later...

Have a listen to this and tell me what you think? Unfortunately they don't do vinyl so I'm stuck with mp3 downloads :-( I know I've heard it all before but still, they're not bad at all.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hSUp8rM ... ata_player
cybot

Post by cybot »

Lp pre-order with immediate mp3 download when ordered.Listening to this gorgeous artefact this evening as the sun was setting;For a short space in time I could pretend that the world was a happier more innocent place....As recommended as they come and already a contender for my album of the year...

http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfullte ... ith+freund
Last edited by cybot on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
cybot

Post by cybot »

RIP Conrad who died last Thursday due to stomach cancer. I only have one solo album of his and, of course, the very first Tangerine Dream Lp which featured Froese and Schulze alongside Conrad kicking up a storm!

cybot

Post by cybot »

On the tt, Brian's new venture on the double vinyl edition and it's better than I thought it would be....It's a pity the cover below wasn't picked for the official release....

Last edited by cybot on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »

Listening to download from Andrew Liles site....

Track listing:

1.Der Brennende Acker (Zuerst) 37:15

2.Der Brennende Acker (Mittlere) 35:26

3.Der Brennende Acker (Letztes) 38:17

In 2007 Andrew Liles and Steven Stapleton were commissioned to compose and perform a live soundtrack for the Murnau film "Der Brennende Acker”. The performance took place at the prestigious Cité de la Musique, Paris, France on 20th May 2008. Here is a recording of that live event available for the first time in its unabridged form of 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Some original backing parts and themes of this recording were heavily restructured and formed the building blocks to what would later become the Nurse With Wound album ‘The Surveillance Lounge’.

"Der Brennende Acker” is considered to be a Murnau masterpiece. The film is dark and moody with very little romance, concentrating on the dark side of life, which is reflected in the greed, and ambition of a prodigal son who arrives home too late to say goodbye to his dying father.

The film was considered lost for a very long time, but in 1978 an almost complete print was found in the estate of an Italian priest who had organised screenings in mental hospitals.
credits
released 20 May 2008
ANDREW LILES: Grand Piano, Digital Data Manipulation, Keyboards.
STEVEN STAPLETON: Prepared Guitar, Sound FX, Electronics.

All compostions written and performed by Andrew Liles and Steven Stapleton. P+C Liles/Stapleton.
JAW

Post by JAW »

Great get up and go music!!
cybot

Post by cybot »

This time on the tt and it's such a beautiful tale told in sounds. Recorded on cassette too :-)

Side A 
Mont Boron 
From Balch Street 
Deep Shit Sunburn 
Eye Colorism 
He Noticed I'm Alive... and Other Hopeful Signs 
The Ortzi 

Side B 
Supernaturealm 
For Broke / Everything is Real! 
Horses On Air 
The Rectumless Flight Of Angels 
For All Our Dead Pets 
Is Anything Too Hard For God? 

It starts in the Riveria, in “Mont Boron” to be exact, with the sound of French boys playing basketball. A mother voices a brief correction, and a car honks twice with a keyless entry remote. Only now do the clean-tone guitars arrive in unassuming riffs: fragrant, agreeably lo-fi, and nothing too crafty or clever. Few discernible effects. If the liner notes told us that the guitar was also a field recording, that would be pretty easy to accept.

None of this would be terribly moving on its own, but the nostalgia and immediacy of this stimulus-and-response ethic catch the breath in the throat. The telltale static and imperfect volumes of the sample make clear that this was not a staged affair. Instead, a game began spontaneously under a hotel window, and the artist seems to have scrambled for his recorder. He takes a brief sample of the truly constant flow of ambient sound, and leaves a brief commentary of his own (guitar, normally), adding a little to the raw feed. Constant comments: the thesis for an album is born. In this case the artist is Keith Freund, Ohio-based singer and guitarist, founding member of Trouble Books, and former trumpet player for Six Parts Seven. His solo album is set for an August 16 release.

For those listeners who peruse the tracklist first, note the slightly mischievous sense of humor in the song titles: “The Rectumless Flight Of Angels,” “Deep Shit Sunburn,” or “Is Anything Too Hard For God?” (Fitting this particular project, the track titles really have no obvious connection back to the compositions, or to the field recordings.) Non-sequitur “Eye Colorism” takes us back to the playground — a game of tag this time — set to low-volume guitar swells which are largely crowded out by the field recordings. Many of the Comments here are short, clocking in at under two minutes, so eight-minute piece “The Ortzi” stands out quite literally. A slow and winking organ lick sets perhaps the most conventional tempo on the album, while parallel guitar lines weave a luxuriant adornment. The title borrows from an old Basque legend, meaning that lively conversation Freund recounts in installments was more likely recorded in San Sebastián than Madrid.

Speaking of Spain, the rainfall throughout “For Broke” completely reinvents the sub-genre of downpour songwriting. The track offers up the happy oblivion of steel under light precipitation. In an unrelated tempo — indeed, “untempo” might be a better way to describe it — detached guitar tinkering strides along for about half of the two minutes of rain. The metal turns out to belong to an automobile hood, or at least that is what Freund implies by the sound of a driver opening the door and getting out. In a nice narrative touch, “Everything Is Real!” takes up immediately after the door closes, changing guitar licks, and eventually changing thunderstorms. The exclamation point is unnecessary. It is already clear that “Everything” is a pretty serious exaggeration.

How to sum up a finite review about ongoing and infinite processes? About the endless stream of moments, and of how we add our own voice to the discussion, loudly or otherwise? For the record, Freund ends his inquiry with “For All Our Dead Pets,” a tongue-in-cheek title for the most intriguing composition on the album: sepia waves of lightly-treading guitar, and some kind of churning, well-manipulated field recording underneath. About the best we can offer is this: listen. On repeat.

- Fred Nolan for Fluid Radio