What are you listening to?

Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote: Just name the day Dave and I will have my visa renewed and I will be there!!

Sounds like I'll have to get my passport out too, and do a bit of gate-crashing... ;-))
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Image

On this disc we have a very fine performance by Zinman and his crew of three very fine works by Herr Strauss namely the forlorn, very poignant yet beautiful Metamorphosen; the beautiful Four Last Songs and finally the playful, vivacious and very elegant Oboe Concerto.
I have Kempe, Karajan, Bohm & Szell in those works Fergus... I would be intrigued in how Zinman sounds, I must admit...
I have all of the Zinman/Arte Nova releases (I think) Jared and they are all very good....not a single one disappointed!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote: Just name the day Dave and I will have my visa renewed and I will be there!!

Sounds like I'll have to get my passport out too, and do a bit of gate-crashing... ;-))
These get togethers are very informal and laid back and are hugely enjoyable Jared....but you always come away from them with a list of new equipment or new CDs or both!!!
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote: Thanks for that Dave....it is probably my favourite Mahler symphony and a new/different angle would certainly be welcome.
Maybe I'm being very blinkered, but I just wouldn't have put Herreweghe and Mahler together easily... are they characteristically small forces? Is it in any way an HIP? Forgive my ignorance, but most Mahler I possess is large, mushy and fairly bombastic...
I think Mahler's 4th suits such smaller forces Jared. It is a quite delicate work and I believe smaller orchestras than the norm have been used in the past. I wouldnt say it sounds typically like a HIP but it has some rather unique 'colours' in the strings which one could say has a HIP feel to it. But for all of Mahler's other works I would agree that the big bombastic orchestra's suit the music naturally.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
Dave, is this a favourite of yours? Can you say why? It looks like an enticing prospect...
I think its an extremely well recorded work Jared and presented in beautiful package. The music itself is performed to an exceptional standard and this is the case with all of Jordi Savall's recordings. They are all top tier recordings IMHO. The only exception to this was Savall's Brandenburg Concertos which I thought felt too heavy and ploding, not the fleet of foot performance one would expect from such a period ensemble.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
Jared wrote:
Dave, is this a favourite of yours? Can you say why? It looks like an enticing prospect...
I think its an extremely well recorded work Jared and presented in beautiful package. The music itself is performed to an exceptional standard and this is the case with all of Jordi Savall's recordings. They are all top tier recordings IMHO. The only exception to this was Savall's Brandenburg Concertos which I thought felt too heavy and ploding, not the fleet of foot performance one would expect from such a period ensemble.
I remember you saying that in the past Dave and I was surprised to read it! I have not heard the cycle....perhaps a sample if your get together goes ahead.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Jared wrote:
That's interesting because that's the only Savall recording in my collection, I rarely listen to it and I feel less than inclined to supplement my collection with recorded performances of his outfit.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote: That's interesting because that's the only Savall recording in my collection, I rarely listen to it and I feel less than inclined to supplement my collection with recorded performances of his outfit.
You're missing out on some great recordings so!