To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
I would be very curious about that one Dave.
I think Dave's Mahler collection will soon be as large as Sean's!

^^ Fergus, this one grows on me with every listen... the polyphony and vocal harmonies are at times exceptional, especially in the ravishing 'Kyrie'.
Jared

Post by Jared »

fergus wrote:On vinyl....

I do like Brahm's Sextets, although there don't appear to be too many recordings of them about. Mine is this recording, although admittedly with a different cover...

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote: I do like Brahm's Sextets, although there don't appear to be too many recordings of them about. Mine is this recording, although admittedly with a different cover...
Perhaps because they are relatively early Brahms, I don't know? They are lively works though, I agree.
fergus

Post by fergus »

More vinyl....

These are fine performances that were very well played. Even if they do lack a little sparkle they are still enjoyable.
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I wonder whether the Abbado set of Overtures on DG will ever be bettered as an overall body of work... he really seems to have got to the heart and soul of the matter...
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote: I think Dave's Mahler collection will soon be as large as Sean's!
:-) I doubt it Jared! The above was my last Mahler purchase and that was several months ago. I've stopped buying Mahler CD's for the foreseeable future.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:
DaveF wrote:Image
I would be very curious about that one Dave.
A performance on period intruments which initially sounds a little odd Fergus but this one has turned out to be one of my favorite M4's. There is a lot of delicacy and intimacy in this performance. It seems to have divided opinion but if you are looking for some 'different' it might be well worth getting. Btw I might be having a little listening session in my place in the coming weeks so you can have a listen to it then if you are around. (You have a visa for de nortside boss, roight?)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Jared

Post by Jared »

DaveF wrote: I've stopped buying Mahler CD's for the foreseeable future.
me likewise, my friend... love Mahler though I do, I'm all 'Mahlered out' after my exertions during the first half of 2011... I can feel a mixture of Piano Music and Renaissance/ Early Music coming on, over the next few months... ;-))
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Jared wrote:^^ I wonder whether the Abbado set of Overtures on DG will ever be bettered as an overall body of work... he really seems to have got to the heart and soul of the matter...
+1 Jared. I've yet to come across a better Mendelssohn set than the one you mentioned.