Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Seán »

Felix Mendelssohn
Piano Concerto No's 1 & 2

Academy of Saint Martin in the Fields
Murray Perahia piano
Neville Marnier - conducting.

Beautifully played and recorded too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Schubert
String Quartet No. 14 in D, 'Death and the Maiden'

Takács Quartet

Well, I returned to this cd this afternoon. I cannot help but compare it to the magnificent Quartetto Italiano performance of Schubert's work. The Takács play the movements at a faster tempo, particularly in the Andante. I prefer the tone of the Quartetto's first violinist, Paolo Borciano, to his counterpart, Edward Dusinberre in the Takács. The overall Takács sound is much thinner than the Italians. Had I acquired the Takács before the Quartetto's then I might not have developed a deep interest in Schubert's quartets. In conclusion, I do like the Takács performance but I could not do without the Italians.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:Image

Franz Schubert
String Quartet No. 14 in D, 'Death and the Maiden'

Takács Quartet

Well, I returned to this cd this afternoon. I cannot help but compare it to the magnificent Quartetto Italiano performance of Schubert's work. The Takács play the movements at a faster tempo, particularly in the Andante. I prefer the tone of the Quartetto's first violinist, Paolo Borciano, to his counterpart, Edward Dusinberre in the Takács. The overall Takács sound is much thinner than the Italians. Had I acquired the Takács before the Quartetto's then I might not have developed a deep interest in Schubert's quartets. In conclusion, I do like the Takács performance but I could not do without the Italians.
Good analysis there Seán. I found that they drive music just a little too much when I compared their performances to others in the Beethoven Quartets. That is fine in itself but not constantly as I find that constantly "driven" music can be fatiguing after a while.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

Inspired by Dave's choice earlier I went for this one on vinyl....

fergus

Post by fergus »

On vinyl....

In a word, magnificent!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Schubert
String Quartets No. 6, 11 & 2

Kodaly Quartet

These Schubert recordings are my first introduction to the Kodály Quartet and I really enjoyed their sound and their music-making. The Schubert quartets make for very pleasant listening and except perhaps for the rather inane waltz in the Sixth Quartet the music is very enjoyable throughout. These performances are a very welcome addition to my collection.

This cd has me wondering about their Haydn cycle now.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: These Schubert recordings are my first introduction to the Kodály Quartet and I really enjoyed their sound and their music-making. The Schubert quartets make for very pleasant listening and except perhaps for the rather inane waltz in the Sixth Quartet the music is very enjoyable throughout. These performances are a very welcome addition to my collection.

This cd has me wondering about their Haydn cycle now.
I honestly would have no hesitation in saying go for it Seán!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Rossini was only twelve when he composed these works. This is lovely, delightful music and the last sonata is really wonderful.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Cesar Frank: Piano Quintet in Fm....

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP