Rock - what are you listening to?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Ivor

Re: Rock - what are you listening to?

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote: He's the young twitchy (and sometimes narky too!) type ....
Is that the tall thin guy with the blonde spikey hair?
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:
cybot wrote: He's the young twitchy (and sometimes narky too!) type ....
Is that the tall thin guy with the blonde spikey hair?
Jesus, Ivor please don't remind me ;-) Yeah, that's him and he's been a thorn in my side since he started a while ago. It all started when I asked him could I listen to a CD (of an Lp I had intended buying - they had no tt to listen on then). I liked what I heard and handed over the Lp for purchase and distinctly told him that I wasn't buying the CD. You can guess the rest.....yeah, that's right he charged me for the CD as well! I told him I only wanted the Lp and he nearly had a seizure, telling me that I 'had' to buy the CD as well!?!? I refused to entertain any such notion and he blew another gasket or two!! Eventually I managed to leave the shop in one piece and he was lucky he was still in one piece too, I tell you!! So he's had it in for me ever since and I still haven't complained as I somehow feel sorry for him!! Ah well the joys of shopping for vinyl.... By way way the other spikey lad (Gerry) is a gentleman in comparison even though he has had his moments over the twenty odd years I've known him!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I asked for clarification because that young fella had his own music record shop (well CDs) here in Rathmines. It was ok but catering for a wide market meant he rarely had what I was looking for. I think a lot of his grumpiness comes from having to give up his own shop to work in another but... that's life. He wasn't always that grumpy. I was talking to him once in Tower about his old shop, it was called Music Matters btw, and he grumbled "why didn't you buy more CDs there?" to which I replied "why didn't you stock something worth buying?". At that time there were three record shops in Rathmines. They are all gone. Now the best one is Oxfam and, God help us, xtravision.

Gerry is a minor God. He was involved in a small and short-lived store near Portabello Bridge in Rathmines in the late seventies where I bought much of the vinyl that formed my musical tastes - that shop became Basement X on Batchelors Walk and then that became Comet Records. Broadly speaking of course.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Is that lad Gerry the tall fella with punk-styled hair? Sound man that if its the same lad.
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Is that lad Gerry the tall fella with punk-styled hair? Sound man that if its the same lad.

That's the man alright Fran. Big into Krautrock/Electronic(a) and probably loads of other genres too...
cybot

Post by cybot »

Ivor wrote:I asked for clarification because that young fella had his own music record shop (well CDs) here in Rathmines. It was ok but catering for a wide market meant he rarely had what I was looking for. I think a lot of his grumpiness comes from having to give up his own shop to work in another but... that's life. He wasn't always that grumpy. I was talking to him once in Tower about his old shop, it was called Music Matters btw, and he grumbled "why didn't you buy more CDs there?" to which I replied "why didn't you stock something worth buying?". At that time there were three record shops in Rathmines. They are all gone. Now the best one is Oxfam and, God help us, xtravision.

Gerry is a minor God. He was involved in a small and short-lived store near Portabello Bridge in Rathmines in the late seventies where I bought much of the vinyl that formed my musical tastes - that shop became Basement X on Batchelors Walk and then that became Comet Records. Broadly speaking of course.
Thanks for clearing that up Ivor re: Happy ;-) As regards Gerry I didn't know he started in Rathmines but I clearly and fondly remember Basement X and Comet and er, Brian..... :-)))))
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

cybot wrote:
Ivor wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up Ivor re: Happy ;-) As regards Gerry I didn't know he started in Rathmines but I clearly and fondly remember Basement X and Comet and er, Brian..... :-)))))

Ah yes... Brian.

fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:on the TT this evening....

I had that one on vinyl many moons ago....don't know where it went to. Before anybody else mentions it....I did not know Dave back then!!!!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Post by fergus »

To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
cybot

Post by cybot »