Looking for a new pair of speakers...

For Sale/Wanted
Forum rules
Note that Tir Na HiFi does not take any responsibility for transactions arranged or carried out here. It is up to the seller and buyer to check each other out! Please be sensible folks, and if there is something you think is wrong, let a mod know, OK?

To make it as clear as we can, here are some simple guidelines:

a) like any forum, the success of tirnahifi is entirely dependent on discussion. All members are encouraged to participate in discussion of music, hifi, etc.
b) tirnahifi is not designed to be, nor intended to be, a marketplace. Any member who uses the site merely for selling will be looked on suspiciously.
c) those members who choose to sell on the site should be aware that the mods do keep an eye on the stuff for sale, plus the demeanour of the seller. Sometimes we may lock/delete/ban a sales thread on this basis.
d) honesty is paramount in all selling transactions. Commercial sellers who label themselves as such are accepted at the discretion of the moderating team.
e) All ads have to include information about age, price, provenance, etc.
f) THE MODERATING TEAM RESERVE THE RIGHT TO REMOVE ANY ADS AT THEIR DISCRETION.
g) Commercial sellers should approach any of the moderation team in advance of posting. First time commercial posts without moderator contact will be removed.
DaveF

Re: Looking for a new pair of speakers...

Post by DaveF »

Adrian wrote:There are lots of great speakers out there but if you have the space I would recommend those 801's in Cloneys. Might have to stretch the budget a bit but the 801 is a fantastic speaker, 15" bass driver really moves, but the top end and mid range are all there.

Condsidering those speakers new are around 16K or higher, picking them up for 3.4K is a good bargain.
They are a bargain alright but don't the 801's require a pretty powerful amp to control that big bass driver?
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Well it depends on your taste Dave, if you are into Classical then a lower power will suffice, but if you are a Raver then perhaps somewhere north of 60W would be required.

But the 801's have a sensitivity in the low 90's, and I have found 40W to be more than adequate, for me anyway. The 40W amp I am using now can really get the floor shaking, certainly that track "Caramel Prisoner" from the Air 10,000 Hz album never fails to impress me. Rolling waves of Bass travelling across the floor, up your legs and literally interferring with your heart beat. And the great thing is that one has the choice to upgrade, but for me I am being sensible as I have to clear off some bills this year.

It depends on your taste really, how deep is your wallet and if you are married will it pass the wife test!! 801's don't do well on the wife front.
Let the Good Times Roll...................
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Very few speakers that sound good score well on the WAF scale!

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Yes. Get the WAF right or ....
Attachments
divorce.jpg
divorce.jpg (220.54 KiB) Viewed 477 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

The 801's are indeed great speakers but unfortunately way over my budget :(

And as I'm mainly listening to Rock, Blue music I'd be worried that my valve amp would be enough to create deep bass.

But definitely like the 801 design :p
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Fran wrote:Its hard to know what to do in this situation!

I think if I was in your shoes I would like to hear my amp with a range of speakers, and maybe other amps with those same speakers as well. I know thats difficult to do!!

That would give you a very good idea of how your amp performs with a few different speakers, plus the comparative performance of your amp vs other amps with those same speakers.

If you want to bring your amp & source and have a listen to my horns, feel free to pm me if you want. Other than that, maybe the best route is to contact either of the shops and see would they be OK with you bringing your amp and source along sometime.

Also, have a look about on the internet and see what others who have the same amp are using.

I'll tell you one thing though, €2k should get you a fabulous set of speakers, esp secondhand. If I was using that €2k I'd expect to get something really shit hot!

Fran
Hi Steph.
Those horns of Fran's are lovely sounding.
I think you might be pleased with the horn sound. You would get to drool over the stacked Quads as well !
Frans smaller Fonkens aren't bad either. Sweet sounds from my Cary.
But as Fran and I discussed they probably need a subwoofer to augment the bass.
I know that you expressed a preference for floorstanders but you may be limiting your scope greatly there ?

Also, if you would like to bring your amp over to mine to listen to it with my Spendors you'd be very welcome.
Cheers,
Gerry
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
sdiesel77

Post by sdiesel77 »

Gerry D wrote:
Fran wrote:Its hard to know what to do in this situation!

I think if I was in your shoes I would like to hear my amp with a range of speakers, and maybe other amps with those same speakers as well. I know thats difficult to do!!

That would give you a very good idea of how your amp performs with a few different speakers, plus the comparative performance of your amp vs other amps with those same speakers.

If you want to bring your amp & source and have a listen to my horns, feel free to pm me if you want. Other than that, maybe the best route is to contact either of the shops and see would they be OK with you bringing your amp and source along sometime.

Also, have a look about on the internet and see what others who have the same amp are using.

I'll tell you one thing though, €2k should get you a fabulous set of speakers, esp secondhand. If I was using that €2k I'd expect to get something really shit hot!

Fran
Hi Steph.
Those horns of Fran's are lovely sounding.
I think you might be pleased with the horn sound. You would get to drool over the stacked Quads as well !
Frans smaller Fonkens aren't bad either. Sweet sounds from my Cary.
But as Fran and I discussed they probably need a subwoofer to augment the bass.
I know that you expressed a preference for floorstanders but you may be limiting your scope greatly there ?

Also, if you would like to bring your amp over to mine to listen to it with my Spendors you'd be very welcome.
Cheers,
Gerry

Hey Gerry,

Definitely, we can organise that, I'll in France this weekend listening to the JMR Cantabile Supreme but next weekend, I can bring my amp and see with your Spendor :)
Tubes & Vinyls are making life brighter..