What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Op 130 (incorporating the Grosse Fugue Op. 133)
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:Image

Franz Schubert
Death and the Maiden &
Rosamunde

Quartetto Italiano

I got these cds late last week and I have been listening to them every day ever since. This music is entirely new to me, I love it and the performances by the Quartetto Italiano are magnificent.
You might also wanna check out the Takacs Quartet one too Seán. Hyperion released it again on the cheap. I must also look at this Quartetto Italiano version as I was very impressed with Beethoven and Mozart works.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

Bruckner – Symphony No. 8 [Kubelik]....

I love this work and Kubelik does a wonderful job with it! There is great drive in there along with wonderful snarling brass without anything being rushed or over aggressive. The hushed strings of the slow movement are wonderful too, taken at a lovely pace which allows the music to linger. Overall it is a wonderful hard-nosed and assertive account. This is a different approach to the sometimes devotional approach sometimes taken with Bruckner and the performance is all the more interesting for it.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:Image

Franz Schubert
Death and the Maiden &
Rosamunde

Quartetto Italiano

I got these cds late last week and I have been listening to them every day ever since. This music is entirely new to me, I love it and the performances by the Quartetto Italiano are magnificent.
You might also wanna check out the Takacs Quartet one too Seán. Hyperion released it again on the cheap. I must also look at this Quartetto Italiano version as I was very impressed with Beethoven and Mozart works.
Thanks for that Dave, the Takács cd is in the bag/basket.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:Image
Careful! Once you get the Alkan bug there's no going back!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:Careful! Once you get the Alkan bug there's no going back!
I think you may be right Ciaran. Piano music generally doesnt do much for me but that Alkan recording was superb. I think there is one or two more Alkan LPs there too which I'll get around to very soon.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Mendelssohn – Symphonies Nos. 3 & 4....

These are wonderful performances of these two works which readily lend themselves to Szell’s ebullient style.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Concerto No.25 & 26 from this mammoth 13LP boxset. Fine performances they were too!

Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:Concerto No.25 & 26 from this mammoth 13LP boxset. Fine performances they were too!

It's great music-making, and on LP too, WOW, you lucky man.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler