Shine On You Crazy Diamond....

For everything else..... try not to spill your drinks OK?
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Shine On You Crazy Diamond....

Post by Fran »

mmm. Would dearly like one of those continuum tables and arms. hold on til I pull the 150k out of me pocket......
Do or do not, there is no try
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:mmm. Would dearly like one of those continuum tables and arms. hold on til I pull the 150k out of me pocket......

L O L :-))))
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

On a different note, I see those prices, admire the beautiful engineering... and wonder could it really sound that much better than my decks here?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:On a different note, I see those prices, admire the beautiful engineering... and wonder could it really sound that much better than my decks here?

It depends on who you ask. I'd say absolutely not but Ricardo's answer would be a resounding yes! As Tom Fletcher once said to me when I asked him about his other higher up the range decks and arms in relation to improvements over what I had already. He said that they all had a similar sound, a family sound, if you will, and it was important that they all sounded good! So in answer to my question he said that if the subtle improvements in the more expensive decks was what I was looking for then by all means go for it. Otherwise what I had was already good anyway! I always remember that when I get the upgrading bug :-)
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

See, I would have said something similar. I still would be saying get the deck to a reasonably good level, and then concentrate on arm, cart and phonostage. Personally I have a bit of a thing for the heavy platter decks, but of course there are an infinite number of ways to skin that cat, and I wouldn't say that mass-loading is the only way to go.

But in my limited experience, the arm is also incredibly important, as is the phonostage. Just like the mass-loading above, I am inclined to favour linear trackers.... just on the basis of what I've heard. Likewise for low output MCs over MMs.

Still how far behind the continuum deck arm combo at 100k would my humble lenco of a couple of hundred quid be?
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran,

Speaking of parallel trackers what do you think of this one that Deco Audio sell...

The Opus Cantus (£650) is an unusual but extremely effective tonearm. It is a passive parallel tracker with an exceptionally low 15 gramme moving mass. The arm runs on miniature ball races within a glass tube, an outrigger (see picture below) holds the lead out wires to prevent them from restricted the arms movement and a manual undamped lift/lower lever enables easy cueing.
It’s designed to be glued rather than bolted to an arm board and naturally should be used only on non suspended turntables. For those used to more conventional pivoted arms then it’s a little fiddly and time consuming to initially setup, but as long as these factors are taken care of then prepare to be amazed with its performance - the lack of tracing distortion is astonishing and the dynamics and scale this arm is capable of retrieving are remarkable but not at the cost of detail or overall resolution.  

Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Funny you should mention the cantus arm - its on my list of arms to build in the near future. The maker, Bo Hannsen died only last week, very prematurely I believe.

There's a thread on DIYaudio about it and several people have successfully built clones of it. The only trick is the glass tube, but apparently its quite easy to do.

I already have the bearings bought!! but I need to finish my schroder arm first.... depending on how that sounds I may or may not feel the urge to build again!

Fran
cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Funny you should mention the cantus arm - its on my list of arms to build in the near future. The maker, Bo Hannsen died only last week, very prematurely I believe.

There's a thread on DIYaudio about it and several people have successfully built clones of it. The only trick is the glass tube, but apparently its quite easy to do.

I already have the bearings bought!! but I need to finish my schroder arm first.... depending on how that sounds I may or may not feel the urge to build again!

Fran
My, that's a coincidence, eh? Sad to hear that the designer died too. Anyway when you do get around to making it let us know, won't you?