What are you listening to?

fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: I'm delighted to hear it. My copy is on a slow boat on its way from France. I hope that it arrives in time for my weekend listening.
I will be very surprised if you are not impressed Seán!
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote:[Schubert] What a really superb set this turned out to be!!
Think I'll have to add this one to the list.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote:[Schubert] What a really superb set this turned out to be!!
Think I'll have to add this one to the list.
You could do a lot worse Dave!!
It has honestly made me want to seriously reassess Schubert's symphonic music....a project that I think I will take up later this year.
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphonic Poems 1, 2 & 3

"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Symphony No.3
fergus

Post by fergus »

Schumann – Symphonies 1 & 2, BPO/von Karajan....

No. 1 is a very fine version that is full of energy in the first and fourth movements. The playing from the BPO is top class as usual and the second movement of this symphony stands out for me.

No. 2 opens with a powerful display in the first movement and the second movement is inexorable in its pace and drive. The slow movement is delicately and sensitively played bringing out the poetry in this movement while the final movement is played with great flair and energy.

Great music making!
Seán

Post by Seán »

Franz Schubert,
Symphony 1 & 9
Eighteen Century Orchestra,
Franz Brüggen conducting

Tonight I listened to the First and to the Ninth symphony. On the strength of listening to both of them on one occasion only I must say that I loved the First and found the Ninth hugely disappointing. When it was finished I listened to the Bohm/BPO version as a release. I will revist Brüggen's Ninth but I fear that I prefer the Big Band approach as I feel that the 18 Century's approach is lacking in warmth, depth and emotion, perhaps I'm wrong.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
james

Post by james »

I am hardly listenning to my hi-fi anymore since I am ripping my CD's. A PAIN !!

If anyone is interested I could start a thread on my experience with ripping .. Things like dbPoweramp versus EAC .. Webern being listed as Weber .. the Fab4 as 'Beatles', 'the Beatles', 'Beatles the' etc ...

Hopefully with such a thread we could share experiences ...

But I did listen to something ...

"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: Tonight I listened to the First and to the Ninth symphony. On the strength of listening to both of them on one occasion only I must say that I loved the First and found the Ninth hugely disappointing. When it was finished I listened to the Bohm/BPO version as a release. I will revist Brüggen's Ninth but I fear that I prefer the Big Band approach as I feel that the 18 Century's approach is lacking in warmth, depth and emotion, perhaps I'm wrong.
No, not wrong, as this seems to be the general consensus with comments on this set in relation to the performance of the ninth. Those who prefer the big band approach do find this version "weak". It would not be the best that I have heard either but I do like music from that era played with leaner forces anyway and I liked it. I do agree that the first is really very good. I hope that you enjoy the rest of the set however.