Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Rock/Blues/Jazz/World/Folk/Country etc.
Fran
Site Admin

Re: Jazz - What's your bag, man?

Post by Fran »

That looks like a great set - nice to have them all in the one place. I think I remembered seeing those in tower... or maybe it was another similar set.

Fran
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

I've always liked George Shearing and this is an absolute gem. On vinyl from Oxfam in Parliament Street for €12, very good nick with just a few pops and crackles.

Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Seán

Post by Seán »

Ivor wrote:I've always liked George Shearing and this is an absolute gem. On vinyl from Oxfam in Parliament Street for €12, very good nick with just a few pops and crackles.
They used to say of George Shearing that he was the best cocktail pianist in the world and that Oscar (Peterson) was the worst. Incidentally, Shearing made some lovely recordings with our very own Louis Stewart.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

Both of these last night. Different but both lovely ...
the siblings have long since gone in distinctly separate artistic directions, a state of things clearly delineated by comparing their respective recent projects. Both are small-group settings, but while Wynton goes deep into jazz historicist models and courts conceptualism on He and She, Metamorphosen finds Branford and his dazzling, taut and time-honed band—with Watts, pianist Joey Calderazzo and bassist Eric Revis—simply doing what they do, in more of a post-Coltrane quartet manner, putting forth what may be this band’s finest outing to date. At the risk of simplifying, Wynton’s latest is more about thought-out gestures and compositional thinking, Branford’s more about acting, about the heat of play and interplay.
Attachments
1238336226_jazz.jpg
1238336226_jazz.jpg (72.24 KiB) Viewed 508 times
784736.gif
784736.gif (54.59 KiB) Viewed 508 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

And tonigh, please God, I'll take this ...
Attachments
BinaryCacheServlet.jpeg
BinaryCacheServlet.jpeg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 508 times
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
Seán

Post by Seán »

Gerry D wrote:Both of these last night. Different but both lovely ...
the siblings have long since gone in distinctly separate artistic directions, a state of things clearly delineated by comparing their respective recent projects. Both are small-group settings, but while Wynton goes deep into jazz historicist models and courts conceptualism on He and She, Metamorphosen finds Branford and his dazzling, taut and time-honed band—with Watts, pianist Joey Calderazzo and bassist Eric Revis—simply doing what they do, in more of a post-Coltrane quartet manner, putting forth what may be this band’s finest outing to date. At the risk of simplifying, Wynton’s latest is more about thought-out gestures and compositional thinking, Branford’s more about acting, about the heat of play and interplay.
I saw the Marsalis Brothers live in the Opera House in Cork in 1981, their flight was delayed and the concert didn't start until midnight. The concert was awesome, such gorgeous music delivered with great energy and subtlety too. They looked like kids but played like veterans.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

cybot

Post by cybot »

Fran wrote:Image
Whoopieeeeeee! Top five stuff there :-))))
Seán

Post by Seán »

cybot wrote:
Fran wrote:Image
Whoopieeeeeee! Top five stuff there :-))))
For some perhaps, but not for me.