Recent Purchases

fergus

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:
fergus wrote:Image
I'd be interested to know your thoughts on how this compares with more recent interpretations... although with chamber players, I can't imagine the textures will be too thick.. what led you to this purchase, Fergus?
I wanted to have one or two older performances of the Brandenburgs Jared because I wanted to know exactly what you asked yourself above; I wanted comparison and when I did some research Busch was a name that came up once or twice so I simply went for it. I am very keen to hear it myself.
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I agree with you, completely... it's good to be able to make the comparisons in this way. I had an email today from Chris Dingle (the BBC Music Mag reviewer I mentioned) who listens to the St Matthew Passion every Easter weekend... his favourite two versions are JEG & Karl Richter (1958)... quite contrasting, I'm sure you'll agree.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ I agree with you, completely... it's good to be able to make the comparisons in this way. I had an email today from Chris Dingle (the BBC Music Mag reviewer I mentioned) who listens to the St Matthew Passion every Easter weekend... his favourite two versions are JEG & Karl Richter (1958)... quite contrasting, I'm sure you'll agree.
That is exactly it Jared; as you say yourself, it just gives one a different perspective on the music and can only enhance one's understanding of it in the long run.
Diapason

Post by Diapason »

fergus wrote:
Diapason wrote: Music of the Crusades, by The Early Music Consort of London, David Munrow, on Decca.
This must be it Simon, thank you....

Yup, that's the one. For some reason I found it quite difficult to get the actual picture link on my phone, so couldn't post it. Let us know if you pick it up!
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
fergus

Post by fergus »

Diapason wrote:Yup, that's the one. For some reason I found it quite difficult to get the actual picture link on my phone, so couldn't post it. Let us know if you pick it up!
Will do Simon....I am interested in getting it.
fergus

Post by fergus »

fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ I see you're having a bit of a Mozart moment, Fergus... I've not yet gotten around to the Flute Quartets yet... I see they're fairly early works. Will this be your first recording of them, or are you already quite familiar?

I'm afraid this won't be a thread I'll be posting in for a little while... other than to comment on your new purchases, of course.. ;-))
fergus

Post by fergus »

Jared wrote:^^ I see you're having a bit of a Mozart moment, Fergus... I've not yet gotten around to the Flute Quartets yet... I see they're fairly early works. Will this be your first recording of them, or are you already quite familiar?

I'm afraid this won't be a thread I'll be posting in for a little while... other than to comment on your new purchases, of course.. ;-))
No Jared, I have two other versions of these works but I am really looking forward to hearing this CD....I am expecting a lot from that particular line up!

I can only sit back and admire your self restraint!
Jared

Post by Jared »

^^ and so you should... I think it's been three days since I last ordered a CD online.. ;-))