DaveF wrote: Image
How does Wand do with Schubert Dave?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
fergus

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by fergus »

Brahms – Piano Concerto No. 2 played by Gilels, BPO/Jochum....

I really like the two Brahms Piano Concertos and I find this to be another very good performance; the highlight of which is the beautiful slow movement.
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

fergus wrote: How does Wand do with Schubert Dave?
Based on tonights listening Fergus I would say very well indeed. I only base that on Symphony No.5 so I might have a different opinion after the rest of them. The performance was steady, not showy or brutal in any way but not sluggish either. The music just seemed to flow naturally and was very enjoyable as a result.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
fergus

Post by fergus »

DaveF wrote:
fergus wrote: How does Wand do with Schubert Dave?
Based on tonights listening Fergus I would say very well indeed. I only base that on Symphony No.5 so I might have a different opinion after the rest of them. The performance was steady, not showy or brutal in any way but not sluggish either. The music just seemed to flow naturally and was very enjoyable as a result.
That sounds good enough....thank you for that Dave.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

DaveF wrote:Image

lovely lush sound from this LP. Sounds quite a bit different than the CD version.
The lushness of DG's analogue mastering in this period was legendary, and they generally pulled out all the stops for Karajan. The digital remastering they did fairly soon afterwards doesn't have the same feel at all. I wonder were they deliberately going for a different sound? The analogue lushness is very easy to like!
fergus

Post by fergus »

Beethoven – Sonatas Nos. 4 & 5 for piano and cello played by Rostropovich/Richter....

Great music making throughout this set, as one would expect.
Seán

Post by Seán »

lovely lush sound from this LP. Sounds quite a bit different than the CD version.
Fantastic Dave, where did you get the LP? I would love to get a copy of it too.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote:

I got it off Ciaran last weekend along with a few other LPs. I'm buying Ciaran's LP collection in the coming week and picking the lot up some weekend afterwards.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Ciaran wrote:The lushness of DG's analogue mastering in this period was legendary, and they generally pulled out all the stops for Karajan. The digital remastering they did fairly soon afterwards doesn't have the same feel at all. I wonder were they deliberately going for a different sound? The analogue lushness is very easy to like!
When I got the CD version last summer I was a bit disappointed with the overall sound balance of recording. It made me dismiss this one as one of the recommended Mahler 5 recordings but after hearing it on vinyl I've changed my mind. There are some sacrifices though in that CD has more 'slam' and impact in some passages.
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote:

I got it off Ciaran last weekend along with a few other LPs. I'm buying Ciaran's LP collection in the coming week and picking the lot up some weekend afterwards.
Congratulations Dave, I thought that you might be the recipient of his wonderful treasure trove of classical music, they have found a good home, I envy you.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler