Recent Purchases

fergus

Re: Recent Purchases

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote: I've only got six, but with a good spread from a small ensemble to big band and Beethoven's music lends itself to the entire range of possible interpretations, I feel.
I remember that you have HvK, Mackerras and Bruggen but who else do you have Seán?
To be is to do: Socrates
To do is to be: Sartre
Do be do be do: Sinatra
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote: I've only got six, but with a good spread from a small ensemble to big band and Beethoven's music lends itself to the entire range of possible interpretations, I feel.
I remember that you have HvK, Mackerras and Bruggen but who else do you have Seán?
From big to small I have the following sets:
1. Klemperer/Philharmonia Orchestra
2. Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dresden Orchestra
3. Von Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (1962)
4. Mackerras/Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
5. Harnoncourt/Chamber Orchestra of Europe
6. Brüggen/Orchestra of the Eighteenth Century

I'd like to get the Furtwängler and the Vänskä's cycles too. Sure I'm always on the lookout for another cycle.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Seán wrote: From big to small I have the following sets:
Klemperer/Philharmonia Orchestra
Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dresden Orchestra
Von Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (1962)

I have those ones too although the Blomstedt one is still in its wrap. The two sets that I regard as outstanding are the Abbado and Hogwood sets. I have a Bernstein set which is a bit hit and miss, I have many from the Haitink/LSO cycle which contains my favorite version of the 5th, and then I have some cheap set from Kegel which hardly got a look in and most likely never will. I still have to the unwrap the Gardiner set which I'm most looking forward to. The rest are a few single disc symphonies from various conductors.
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
Seán

Post by Seán »

DaveF wrote:
Seán wrote: From big to small I have the following sets:
Klemperer/Philharmonia Orchestra
Blomstedt/Staatskapelle Dresden Orchestra
Von Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
(1962)
I have those ones too although the Blomstedt one is still in its wrap. The two sets that I regard as outstanding are the Abbado and Hogwood sets. I have a Bernstein set which is a bit hit and miss, I have many from the Haitink/LSO cycle which contains my favorite version of the 5th, and then I have some cheap set from Kegel which hardly got a look in and most likely never will. I still have to the unwrap the Gardiner set which I'm most looking forward to. The rest are a few single disc symphonies from various conductors.
I have several single CDs too including recordings by - excuse while I genuflect - Reiner/CSO, Giulini, Haitink, Abbado, Gielen, Weil, etc.
"To appreciate the greatness of the Masters is to keep faith in the greatness of humanity." - Wilhelm Furtwängler
fergus

Post by fergus »

Seán wrote:[From big to small I have the following sets:

I'd like to get the Furtwängler and the Vänskä's cycles too. Sure I'm always on the lookout for another cycle.
I too will probably get the Klemperer and Furtwangler cycles in due course. I have considered Harnoncourt but I will probably give him a miss at this stage.
Seán

Post by Seán »

fergus wrote:
Seán wrote:[From big to small I have the following sets:

I too will probably get the Klemperer and Furtwangler cycles in due course. I have considered Harnoncourt but I will probably give him a miss at this stage.
Klemperer is real big band stuff. I find it difficult to pass on Harnoncourt. His Beethoven is lovely.
Ciaran

Post by Ciaran »

fergus wrote:No sooner have I completed one LvB symphonic cycle than another has been placed on order....

I have the 6th conducted by Cluytens on LP. Rather lovely.
fergus

Post by fergus »

Ciaran wrote: I have the 6th conducted by Cluytens on LP. Rather lovely.
I am delighted to hear that Ciaran....6 and 7 would be my two favourites!
Gerry D

Post by Gerry D »

SUPER BARGAIN !

I got this for €6.00 last weekend at HMV.
My introduction to the Classic Classical world.
It is a 6 CD set with what seems like a great variety.
Moods, Movie & TV,etc. groupings.
I probably hear snippits of a lot of it everyday.
Looking forward to sussing out what grabs me in it's entirety.
Maybe I will realise the appeal Ye buffs [!] have ?

Take Care,
Gerry
"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Hi Gerry,

Fergus did his own classical beginners compilation CD over a year ago that's pretty good I think. It comes with very useful notes too and briefly explains the progression through the different classial era's. It might be well worth asking him for a copy. Dipping ones toe into classical for the first time can be a daunting experience but extremely well worth it in the end.

Dave
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP