vintage hifi

paulb

vintage hifi

Post by paulb »

just saw this great looking 60s system on donedeal sonab speakers thorens deck and fisher amp...http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/audioequipment/1835612
Fran
Site Admin

Re: vintage hifi

Post by Fran »

Nice gear alright - looks like the seller is in Galway by his phone number. I think his price is maybe a bit on the high side but might be worth it if it's all in good enough nick.....
Do or do not, there is no try
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

the turntable might be worth a punt alright but I suspect the amp and speakers would have aged worse than I have.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
JAW

Post by JAW »

I was looking at revamping a pair of those Sonabs a while ago, but decided against it, as they didn't seem to be a patch on the OA-5's. However, if the tweeters are all ok and the bass surrounds haven't rotted they would be a good speaker with a unique sound. €350 seems a bit steep, though.
Here's a bit of info on the speakers

http://www.carlssonplanet.com/oa4ii.php
JFK

Quad on Done deal

Post by JFK »

Ivor

Re: Quad on Done deal

Post by Ivor »

JFK wrote:Fran /Ivor -- Did you see these --
http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/audioequipment/1839256
Interesting. I'm not a fan of Quad amps of that era so not tempted there. The 57s? Well yes I'd consider a pair but not at that price. It might well be a fair price but for me it's OTT.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

I would have thought the 57's were good value (considering they were serviced in 2002). The price for the Quad II's is good too - these thiongs do go for high money on ebay, plus carriage etc. However, the smart question may be are there better sounding amps out there for less dough.

Fran

(ps. personally, 2 pairs is enough!!)
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Fran wrote:I would have thought the 57's were good value (considering they were serviced in 2002).
I read that as the amps were serviced but still, if I was spending €600+ on hifi it would go on the vinyl end of things. I would like a pair of 57s of course. Who wouldn't?!!

barry robin

Post by barry robin »

Fran wrote:...personally, 2 pairs is enough!!)"
yea, you say that now...

don't those tripples built by Wayne Piquot? HMMMMM....

-b
Fran
Site Admin

Post by Fran »

Nah tempting as it is better not go there!