MQN

Anything to do with computer audio, hardware, software etc.
goon-heaven

Re: MQN

Post by goon-heaven »

I know what you mean about the sse2's
But do you prefer it over the sse4's[/quote]

yes.[/quote]

+1 (at least on 2.64 sse2)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Out of interest, what lengths have people gone to in order to rule out expectation bias or placebo etc?

Let's say set up two laptops with different MQN versions installed. Perhaps one with filenames changed and and the other unchanged also. Then play a track for someone but without them knowing which version/config is playing.
If the improvements are as big people say they are then surely they can be picked out with consistancy in the above scenario?
(and please dont mention horseshit about being under pressure in an unsighted test)
"I may skip. I may even warp a little.... But I will never, ever crash. I am your friend for life. " -Vinyl.
Michell Gyrodec SE, Hana ML cart, Parasound JC3 Jr, Stax LR-700, Stax SRM-006ts Energiser, Quad Artera Play+ CDP
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

goon-heaven wrote:I know what you mean about the sse2's
But do you prefer it over the sse4's
yes.[/quote]

+1 (at least on 2.64 sse2)[/quote]

sorry. i meant yes, i prefer sse4.. haha
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

Clive wrote:
jesuscheung wrote: 2.64 sse2 v2, 2.64 sse2 v3

-both sound like other previous sse2 versions. sound don't spread as much as sse4. sse4's sound is like poison gas, it spreads everywhere.
-both sound good. top all other sse2.
-because sse2 sounds simpler. feels cleaner and clearer. feels more organized.
My turn for a question. The spread / poison gas thing with SSE4, is this a lack of focus and does SSE2 give more central focus?
don't you feel SSE4 each note of a piece of music finishes with more details in the air? sound last longer in the air. that's why i meant i think.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

DaveF wrote:Out of interest, what lengths have people gone to in order to rule out expectation bias or placebo etc?

Let's say set up two laptops with different MQN versions installed. Perhaps one with filenames changed and and the other unchanged also. Then play a track for someone but without them knowing which version/config is playing.
If the improvements are as big people say they are then surely they can be picked out with consistancy in the above scenario?
(and please dont mention horseshit about being under pressure in an unsighted test)
no need to blind test! just do quick 1 2 comparison. there are 200 versions! who can remember so much. only 3 or 4 versions i can tell from blind test.
erin

Post by erin »

jesuscheung, can you tell me which CPU and motherboard you use?
Also which OS are you using?
I am curious?
thanks
Erin
There is only so much cake in the world!
When the greedy people want to have more than their fair share, then there is less cake for everyone else.
Buy locally.
Build locally.
Grow locally.
Share locally.
Results in a fair slice of the cake for everyone.
Clive

Post by Clive »

DaveF wrote:Out of interest, what lengths have people gone to in order to rule out expectation bias or placebo etc?

I've performed one blind test accidentally and one on purpose. The on purpose one was with 4 people, individually. I chose versions of MQn which I found to be sound quite different. Their blind test results were the same as my sighted ones. There are many versions of MQn which sound more alike and so are harder to tell apart, these would be a tougher blind test. I refer you back to JK's comment about the Limbic System, blind tests typically make us avoid using the Limbic System so we end up not fully listening, just being analytical (mostly for FR and detail) but missing the point to music.

The rate of change with MQn makes it non-viable to blind test and I don't care for blind testing anyway.
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

erin wrote:jesuscheung, can you tell me which CPU and motherboard you use?
Also which OS are you using?
I am curious?
thanks
Erin
3770K.
z77 asus board.
i use all 7, 2012, and 2012 R2.
nige2000

Post by nige2000 »

JC

"sse4's sound is like poison gas, it spreads everywhere"

is probably not the best way to describe something you like ;)

thats why i asked whether you preferred sse2 or sse4

im curious what Avx would sound like (Dave calm down were not hurting any one)

JC is very thorough checks all versions, settings os's etc etc mad man
i get difficult just to test the versions
sd card player, modded soekris dac, class a lifepo4 amp or gb class a/b amp, diy open baffle speakers based on project audio mundorf trio 10's
jesuscheung

Post by jesuscheung »

nige2000 wrote:JC

"sse4's sound is like poison gas, it spreads everywhere"

is probably not the best way to describe something you like ;)

thats why i asked whether you preferred sse2 or sse4

im curious what Avx would sound like (Dave calm down were not hurting any one)

JC is very thorough checks all versions, settings os's etc etc mad man
i get difficult just to test the versions
haha. i just thought poison gas has the best spreadability. it is made to kill.

i find OS tweaks very difficult. minimalist doesn't equal best SQ.

many easy 1 click optimization scripts people use contain harmful tweaks. most people don't realize.

bios tweaks is much easier to perfect.