New Year's Hifi Resolutions

Diapason

New Year's Hifi Resolutions

Post by Diapason »

Morning all. I'm back at my desk and things are a little quiet, so I'm browsing hifi forums and marvelling at all the new shiny toys out there in the world, which has got me thinking about my hifi year ahead. Has anyone got any Hifi-related New Year's Resolutions they'd like to share? Apart from the sterling work in the computer audio and Nige-build sections here, I get the sense that there's not much movement afoot in terms of gear. Are we all in a happy place these days? I'd certainly like to think so.

For my part, I'd love to think that I could get a good DAC sorted this year but I don't see the budget presenting itself any time soon. More importantly, my main resolution is the same as it has been every year for the last few years: to find time to listen more.
Nerdcave: ...is no more! :(
Sitting Room: Wadia 581SE - Rega Planar 3/AT VM95ML & SH - Bluesound Node II - Copland CSA 100 - Audioplan Kontrast 3
Kitchen: WiiM Pro - Wadia 151 - B&W 685s2
Ciaran

Re: New Year's Hifi Resolutions

Post by Ciaran »

Listening more is a good one! Mine is listening without distractions: no book, no smartphone. Nothing you add to your gear has the same impact as paying attention to what you're listening to. (I preach this sermon well for one who has to rejoin the confessional queue after every evening!) Following a score can be good for keeping the attention firmly locked on. But I only have scores for a very small proportion of the works I have on record.

Also: I'm thinking about headphones. A headphone amp is certainly possible this year. But I've spent very little on hi-fi in the last few years: I'm not sure if I remember how! A new lens for the camera might compete!
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Diapason wrote: More importantly, my main resolution is the same as it has been every year for the last few years: to find time to listen more.
Ciaran wrote:Listening more is a good one! Mine is listening without distractions: no book, no smartphone. Nothing you add to your gear has the same impact as paying attention to what you're listening to.
Yeah, more listening, less distractions.

I suspect, across all the members, there's been little in the way of hardware upgrades going on for various reasons... that said I did play about with pre-amps and cables and never got around to writing something up. I could still rectify that.
Most "progress" on the forums has been in the computer audio field and that doesn't appeal to everyone... I've even introduced a JK Ciunas dac to my own system with positive results. No fancy PC fettlin' just plug it in and play away. I don't find it a substitute for vinyl or even CD and I'm not likely to in the future but even in it's basic state it's bloody impressive with the right files.

But yes... while I do have a little itch or two (thankfully not physical) I suspect my system will be much the same this time next year.... more listening. That's the thing. Enjoy what's in front of you.
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
tony

Post by tony »

This is a dangerous thread no god fearing hifi buff would dare give any public ammo that could be picked up by their bosses.
GroupBuySD DAC/First Watt AlephJ/NigeAmp/Audio PC's/Lampi L4.5 Dac/ Groupbuy AD1862 DHT Dac /Quad ESL63's.Tannoy Legacy Cheviots.
james

Post by james »

Hope to maximise my current system by improving cables (I have better ones but have not installed them), getting rid of lots of extension leads and improving the hi-fi furniture.

James
"Change is Possible" [Parking Meter in Dundrum Shopping Centre]
HiFiFan

Post by HiFiFan »

I am going to do more shows this year. I usually attended at least one a year but missed out last year, this year I am planning for AXPONA, the new LA Audio Show and perhaps the Newport Show.
SonicTransporter Optical i9, Roon, opticalRendu, Sonore Signare LPSU, Chord DAVE, Merrill Audio Element 116 Monoblocs, Wilson Audio Sasha 2
Audioq

Post by Audioq »

Need to get a music player (network, hardrive) whatever you call it. Looking at Lumin (D1 or 2nd hand T1) or Sony HAPZ1ES or possibly Bluesound Vault 2. My old Olive 06HD gave up the ghost over the holidays (: Not totally unexpected since they were fairly flakey (but sounded ok).
Abminor

Post by Abminor »

Resolution is to get a decent phono preamp to listen to a nice turntable I got from another member on the forum.
Because my current preamp doesn't do 'phono', I resurrected my childhood amp from the attic and am seriously less than impressed.
Is this what all the nostalgia is about ?!
Next step is http://phonoclone.com/diy-pho5.html. Can't be too difficult? Right??
Attachments
Sanyo JA340 circa 1985
Sanyo JA340 circa 1985
Sanyo-Stereo-Amp-Amplifier-Silver-Ja-340-Deck.jpg (15.53 KiB) Viewed 892 times
Ivor

Post by Ivor »

Abminor wrote: Is this what all the nostalgia is about ?

Nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia and firing up some old equipment but I do see a lot of guys (elsewhere) raving about the amps/speakers/turntables they just found in the attic or charity shop and really... it's highly unlikely these are better than the now ubiquitous cheap and cheerless suitcase turntables out there. I remember these brands and even though I hadn't yet heard any real hifi I knew they were crap!
Vinyl -anything else is data storage.

Thorens TD124 Mk1 + Kuzma Stogi 12"arm, HANA Red, Gold Note PH 10 + PSU. ADI-2 Dac, Lector CDP7, Wyred4Sound pre, Airtight ATM1s, Klipsch Heresy IV, Misc Mains, RCA + XLR ICs, Tellurium Q spkr cable
frd1996

Post by frd1996 »

Abminor wrote:Next step is http://phonoclone.com/diy-pho5.html. Can't be too difficult? Right??
I can help you with this :) I have a VSPS. It's dual-mono, transformers in a separate casing. I built it a few years ago, but I have not been using much - similarly as the turntable. I you would like to try it out just drop me a PM.

Cheers,
F